Advice please

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by rkpate, Jul 21, 2015.

1. r

rkpate New Member Member

I have a 125g tank for a tropical freshwater setup and I was wondering what plants I can grow that are easy to care for and good for gravel. I'll have 320 watts of light.

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

It's not the wattage that matters so much as the PAR and the type of light. Plants do really well with lights in the 6500 K area.

3. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydro Well Known Member Member

320 watts of T12 bulbs aren't the same as 320 watts of T5HO or Metal Halides. You're going to have to be more specific with the kind of lighting your'e using.

4. OP
    OP
    r

rkpate New Member Member

I was thinking about getting the odyssea 72" T5 high output

5. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

Low light plants should work. Java ferns, crytps, wisteria, vals, swords, anubias should be OK with that light.

6. OP
    OP
    r

rkpate New Member Member

High output

7. BDpups

Two 3 foot lights maybe cheaper than one 6 footer. You may want to check prices. And check the price of replacement bulbs too.

You may want to look into LED's too. Cheaper to run, in the long run. And you won't need to replace bulbs.

8. TexasDomer

The 10000 K bulbs won't be great for your plants. I'm not sure about the actinic bulbs. I know they're good for inverts and corals, but I don't know if they'll work for plants.

9. BDpups

10,000K is fine for plants. I use 6,700K with 10,000K on my tanks.

Actinic bulbs won't grow plants.

10. OP
    OP
    r

rkpate New Member Member

What would you recommend?

11. TexasDomer

@BDpups Have you used 10000 K to grow plants alone (without 6700 K bulbs)? Do they grow as well? I don't have much experience with 10000 K bulbs.

12. BDpups

By themselves, no. But anything from 5,000K to 10,000K will grow plants just fine. I like the combo of 10,000 and 6,700 because of the color the two give off.

13. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydro Well Known Member Member

I'm with BDpups on the choices of plants, suggestion of LEDs, and the color spectrum plants do best under.

Just to add to everything suggested.. The general consensus for best affordable LEDs for growing plants around here seem to be Finnex fixtures. They are more expensive up front but you will really save a lot of money over the 4-5 years you own the fixture. You won't need to buy replacement bulbs, and it will use a lot less electricity.

Definitely avoid actinic bulbs in freshwater tanks, I've heard of nothing but algae problems resulting from them. They really are best reserved for saltwater tanks IMO.

14. OP
    OP
    r

rkpate New Member Member

What fixtures do y'all run?

15. BDpups

My non planted tanks have LED's for the most part.

The planted ones have HO T5's . I have high tech planted tanks and have not done the research to know which LED's would work with what I'm growing. Plus, I've been using T5's for awhile and they work just fine for me. I'm one of those who thinks if it aint broke, don't fix it.

16. OP
    OP
    r

rkpate New Member Member

Ok so I need to get that odyssea with 6500K bulbs?

17. BDpups

That would certainly work.

18. OP
    OP
    r

rkpate New Member Member

Ok thanks what are some easy plants to grow? What do you grow?

19. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

20. OP
    OP
    r

rkpate New Member Member

Ok thank you

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice