Advice please my guppy is acting oddly

1. WeepingShadesOfIndigo

WeepingShadesOfIndigo Valued Member Member

My male guppy has been crashing on the bottom and doing a bit of slight wobbling when he hovers maybe shimming from what I have read but I have never seen this so I can't say. Then suddenly he pops up and is back to courting the girls and two other boys in the tank. Its very disconcerting, I keep thinking oh no he is a goner, then the next second he is back up and doing his normal thing.

Anything I can do for this guy or should I just wait it out as he has no other symptoms and seems to recover then lay back down as if he gets exhausted?

Tank info, done two 25% water changes in as many days used API water conditioner.
    Tested water two days ago when I saw him acting oddly and also today came back as it always is so no changes aside from Nitrates going down a bit with the water changes from 10 to closer to 5.
    Tank has some Ramshorn snails, nine guppies including him, a few fry in the floating plants and six neons in a 55 gallon. He is the only one showing any signs of weirdness.
    Plants are Fontinalis moss clumps, Ambulia all over the place, and some Pennywort.

Pictures, fist one is him up and with the group second is about two minutes later him on the bottom.
    P1010074.JPG P1010089.JPG

2. t

theRqua Valued Member Member

Are the ammonia and nitrite zero?
    I have one guppy, and he sometimes lays on the floor, too.
    I read that guppies sleep that way.
    If he does that all the time around the clock, it may be a disease such as parasites - fish tend to "scratch" themselves on the floor when it's parasites.

3. OP
    OP
    WeepingShadesOfIndigo

Yes both ammonia and nitrite are zero. I have seen this guy sleeping and it does look just like this but he is doing it throughout the day so its unusual as he normally only sleeps when the lights go off. He is one of the more amorous boys that I have so I am worried that he is ignoring the girls. Then he pops up and is his normal sort of jerky in your face self.

Its odd because half the time he looks perfectly normal, then he looks like he is asleep the other half.

Any parasites that could cause this sort of 'sleepy' behaviour?

4. Dragones5150918

Dragones5150918 Well Known Member Member

Have you added anything new to the tank? Plants, decorations, change water conditioner, food brands, anything new at all?

Have you checked your tap water recently?

How long have you had the fish?

How is the water current?

5. OP
    OP
    WeepingShadesOfIndigo

Yes in fact I have. I recently added plants the Fontinalis moss clumps and Ambulia when two of the females had fry a week ago. I also added some food, Hikari micro pellets, to my usual feeding schedule also a week ago.

I have not checked my tap water but I have checked the tank water a lot in the week since the fry showed up. No changes to the tank chemistry so I am assuming the tap has stayed constant as I have done a lot of water changes but I will check that in 24 hours as I happen to have a bucket of left over water that wouldn't fit into the tank from my change today.

This guy I have had since the end of april so not too long.

Current is not very strong but it ripples the top quite a bit. I have neons and fry and they can swim easily but they will get pushed around if they head up to the spray bar.

6. Dragones5150918

How long since you introduced the plants did he start displaying this behavior?

It does not sound like your water source or food, so I'm thinking something was brought in on the plants and so far he's the first to show signs. Exactly what was brought in, no clue.

Was the plants in a tank at the shop you bought them from? What was in the tank system that the plants were in? Did any fish in that system display sick behavior or dead fish in there? Where they mail ordered?

Sorry trying to narrow it down a bit.

7. OP
    OP
    WeepingShadesOfIndigo

Five days? Or four days, I can't find the receipt to help me remember.

Could be the plants, I would think it would be one of my yellows that eat plants as I have seen them munching on them or the fry that are in the plants but it is possible that this guy is just more susceptible to whatever it is.

The plants were in one of those open top middle of the store set ups with no fish or anything else I could see in them. Sometimes in some stores they have those big apple snails in them but I haven't seen them in this store.

No worries I am happy to have any ideas and give any info I can. I am flummoxed about my little guy. Upsetting that its nothing that I can SEE and diagnose like Ich or fin rot or anything that I can compare pictures to.

8. Dragones5150918

I have seen set ups like that. A couple of my stores around me do it too.

I'm wondering if there is a bacteria in those tanks that made the transfer to your tank.

When you bought the plants, did you bring them home in some of that water? Did you by any chance add that water to your tank?

9. Aster

Aster Well Known Member Member

Shimmying is when the fish clamps all its fins and swims by wriggling its body instead of using their fins. Is that what he's doing?

It might have been the plants, but... IMO unlikely. If it was in a plants-only display it was probably in there long enough that bacteria or parasites that need a host would have died off without a host. Did you do a salt, alum, or bleach dip before putting the plants in your tank? That would've killed pretty much anything on the plants anyway.

He may not be showing symptoms of a particular disease right now but that behavior is definitely not normal. QT him just in case he has something contagious. Having sick fish in the tank also stresses out healthy fish, something you don't want to do right now.

10. OP
    OP
    WeepingShadesOfIndigo

They didn't have water in the bag but the plants were of course wet. I did soak them in a bucket of my tanks water for a half hour or so while I looked them up online how to plant and were they like to be sort of thing. I was after hornwort and java moss so these were plants I was not familiar with however I was desperate as I had fry in a box and just bought plants I thought were similar.

I did not take precautions as I should have like quarantining them or dipping them in anything aside from tank water in a bucket.

11. OP
    OP
    WeepingShadesOfIndigo

Ah I see, no he isn't clamping at all, just wobbling a bit. Fins are out though, not next to his body at all.

No, Im afraid I was in too much of a hurry to get them into my tank so no dips.

I will pull out the ol qt tank and maybe set it up nicer then I usually do. I usually have it pretty bare but it may be stressful and this guy seems like stress is the last thing he needs.

12. Aster

Soaking in tank water unfortunately did nothing for anything that could be on the plants, but as I mentioned before, any diseases that require a host would have died off in the plant tank if the plants were there for a good while.

EDIT:
    Can you specify what you mean by wobbling? Is he having trouble swimming or keeping his balance?

Bare QT tanks are honestly easier to maintain since you don't want to be cleaning off too much stuff once the disease has healed. You could put a few decorations in there for him to feel more secure though. Maybe some alone time will be all it takes for him to perk up :)

13. OP
    OP
    WeepingShadesOfIndigo

Yeah I didn't think so, I wasn't even thinking of disease. Only thing I thought of was snails but I already have those so I thought what the hey.

I just went to go look at him and he is doing his mating dance and looking happy again. Silly guy keeps doing that for an hour then poops himself out and takes a 'nap' for a few minutes then back up to peck at things in the tank and dance for the ladies.

Any ideas of things that cause these sort of symptoms?

14. OP
    OP
    WeepingShadesOfIndigo

Its like he is moving his side fins and sort of swaying slightly with the motion of his fins. Its a slight side to side wobble. He can hover well and swim very well.

Yes oh I know, I have had to vacuum them and bare is so much better for me! But I don't know if he has anything that I can medicate for or do anything for so I am thinking a bit of transferred stuff from his home may be nice for him. I don't want to freak him and make it harder for him to recover. Maybe it will, I know he used a lot of energy flirting!

15. Aster

Nothing comes to mind. If he were constantly taking a 'nap' there are a number of diseases that could cause that but... I don't know.

16. Aster

That's strange, I've never seen that before. So he's just swimming in place?

17. OP
    OP
    WeepingShadesOfIndigo

Yeah very odd, I wish I could upload a video directly to this site as I don't do youtube. I have video of this swaying, him on the bottom and him popping up and doing his regular thing.

He hovers a bit for a few seconds, maybe half a minute but he also swims around, nibbles the glass/decor in the tank and flirts with everyone and of course lays down. May main worry.

The tank is here in my living room and I am running around making dinner, typing this, grabbing the spare tank and looking at him in between. He is spending more and more time up and about since I started this thread so I am happy about that. Everytime I write about an illness it seems to get better, now thinking every time anything goes wrong I should post about it. Been nearly an hour of him staying off the bottom but I am not sure that will last so I will keep making this temporary home for him.

18. Aster

You can upload a video to the site, it is the icon to the right of the photo icon. Does he actually lay down and stop moving?

19. OP
    OP
    WeepingShadesOfIndigo

It says video URL for me. So I would have to upload it someplace online like goole or vimeo or Facebook. I will try to find one of the supported sites to upload.

He does, he looks as if sleeping. Like not on his side or anything, but his belly on the substrate and fins stop moving.

20. Aster

:;smack oh wow I should've noticed that. Oops. I thought you could upload directly to the site but I guess not...

Yeah, that doesn't sound normal. Definitely QT him and keep separate from the others.