Advice On Where Fry Swim To

1. Michael100 Initiate Member

Hello,

I'm talking about platy fry here.

When born in a tank, where are they most likely to go?

Some people say the top - meaning floating plants will provide the best cover and some people say bottom, so rocks and low bushy plants provide the best cover, what are your thoughts.

2. KinsKicks Well Known Member Member

Hello!

In my experience, they tend to swim up. Considering their nature, a lot is small insects and such are located near the top, so livebearers fry often swim toward light (or up) in order to get a meal. Although, once in awhile, they will coast near the bottom because swimming all the time does get a bit tiring :p. Or it depends if you have other fish in the tank, in which they might swim to different areas to avoid them. So, I'd focus on providing bushy plants on both the top and the bottom as you want to be well prepared for keeping them safe

Hope this helps and best of luck!

3. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

They swim to the top for the first few hours then they swim all over and try to find cover in my experience. Floating plants really increase the survival rate.

4. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

When my Mollys gave birth the fry would usually come out like a bullet to the top, thats why floaters really help.

5. barandemir09 Member Member

The thing is, how do you catch them... they're tiny and it's hard to get them out of bushy plants and around little corners... any tips you guys can give would help

6. KinsKicks Well Known Member Member

Lol, I would use a turkey baster, and suck them right up (carefully so I could still see them in the barrel) and use my finger to stop up the opening of I couldn't net them easily.

I think people even make fry traps (like a snail trap, but add bushy plants) to encourage them to go inside, then you can scoop them up.