Advice On Treatment

1. Silister Trench Well Known Member Member

11e9addfd1280364151798ac7fb14174.jpg

Kieth, my Betta, has been in my 5G heavily planted Aquascaped tank (4.3 Gallons Actual) for about six months with around 60 RCS. Around 3 months ago he 'scuffed' his head, leaving a small abrasion. Up until a month ago it was nearly invisible and I assumed it was healing. A few weeks ago he developed a fuzz that is not going away now on the same spot.

His behavior is normal, but I would like some advice on medication and treatment to rid him of this now ongoing problem.

It's now a small fuzzy patch behind his left eye. Picture included.

d882507c631dbe10e5a50bdf140a6da1.jpg

I feel the location of it, located near his eye, is a strong point of concern.

Help?

2. Caitlin86 Well Known Member Member

3. Silister Trench Well Known Member Member

4. Silister Trench Well Known Member Member

Alright! Thanks for the link to the thread. I was drawing a huge blank as to possible name to identify the problem with. It's been a looooong time since I've dealt with health-related issues, so I no longer have any medications on hand, or at least that I can find.

Combing through my own observations and info found in the link to CindiL Culmnaris post it sounds like a very likely candidate, given the tank and overall health of the inhabitants - most notable is the Columnaris progressive response to higher temperatures. For most of his life the Betta was in a room where the temperature was usually 75. When I moved the tank I noticed the heat wasn't working very well, so I replaced it with an inline heater and kept the temperature close to 80F, and now with the warmer summer temps it's been pretty constant at 80F, and his injury has gotten worse with no noticeable cause. His tank is one of the most consistent tanks I have right now in terms of water parameters, as thats where my RCS breed, and the plants almost all gather nutrients from the water column.

5. Silister Trench Well Known Member Member

Medications arrived today, and I realized I didn't have a hospital tank. After a dive into storage I pulled out some forgotten equipment and had some fun with it.

Coolest Betta hospital tank ever? Nah, probably not. Just a stick I found in a box and some forgotten Seiryu.

Gonna fill it tonight, then drop him in tomorrow

. 07f4aa17031c71c8bcce38415e296190.jpg

edea589a8725cdcf084633ec02369b89.jpg

6. Whitewolf Well Known Member Member

Its not necessarily columnaris, tail rot can be caused by many things, lack of blood supply, aeromonas, pseudomonas, or just fungal decay.
    Hes probably getting old, there may not be much you can do.

7. Silister Trench Well Known Member Member

As true as that might be, there's no fin rot whatsoever. ;)

The problem is the fuzzy on his head, and if I were putting odds on it I'd bet 95% Yes / 5% No in favor of columnaris. The info I read through was definitely comparable to my tank perimeters, possible cause, followed by infection/fungal. I even turned my tank temperature down to keep it from worsening and slow it, should the meds take longer. Even after a few days of running at a lower temp I was able to see the fuzzy growth recede ever-so-slightly.

And treating for Columnaris is a 2 front assault, so he's getting treated for bacterial infection/ fungal at the same time.

As far as age I've only had him for 6 months or so, and he was full-grown even then. If determining a age is just like whacking down trees and counting the rings, then I could probably do that. my son would like that. :dead:

His fins are just splotchy with red and blue/fit.