Advice On Tank Size

Kish

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm in the early stages of planning a new aquarium. I'm hoping for advice on what dimensions I need to achieve the look I'm going for.

For years, I've had my eye on a couple of well-known tanks that are online - pictures below. I like the depth and scale of them (and I finally have the room)...but obviously the dimensions still need to be reasonable and allow for easy cleaning, maintenance and light penetration.

Will probably go with something closer to the planted option, since I've done a few planted tanks before. I'm thinking a carpet of micranthemum monte carlo along with eleocharis spp., cryptocoryne balansae and java fern. I'll be keeping it simple in terms of fish, with 6-8 discus, a school of ~40 harlequin rasboras, shrimp to keep the carpet clean and maybe some corys too.

Can anyone hazard a guess at what tank dimensions I would need to house all that and create something that looks similar? I was thinking something like 4' x 2' x 2' or 4' x 2.5' x 2.5' or 5' x 2.5' x 2.5'...

Any advice would be appreciated. I want to get this part right because it's going to be quite the investment!

Thanks in advance.

1.jpeg
2.jpg

Kish

Reaction score
90or a 120gallon if you have the room.
Thanks.
Definitely have room for 120 gallon. And time to maintain a full planted one too!

Just want to make sure I get the scale right - it's the dimensions I'm looking to define.

My last tank was a 150 gallon african cichlid tank. It wasn't the volume that was a problem with that one - it was the depth. It was long and tall but not deep enough and I wanted more to work with. This time I want to get it right, even if that means it's a little harder to maintain.

Seasoldier

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi & welcome, when I got my last tank I went for 5' long x 18" depth x 2' high & I now wish I'd gone the other way with 2' depth & 18" high as with the tank sat on a cabinet the 2' height makes it difficult to do any planting or maintenance on the bottom area even with long tools & me on top of a step ladder. I love my tank but if I could do it again I'd go for the bigger footprint & less height.

Kish

Reaction score
Hi & welcome, when I got my last tank I went for 5' long x 18" depth x 2' high & I now wish I'd gone the other way with 2' depth & 18" high as with the tank sat on a cabinet the 2' height makes it difficult to do any planting or maintenance on the bottom area even with long tools & me on top of a step ladder. I love my tank but if I could do it again I'd go for the bigger footprint & less height.
Thanks for your input! :)

I totally understand what you're saying. Depth makes a big difference. I actually had a 64cm (25") high tank before myself. It was a bit difficult when initially setting it up but, after that, I didn't find it too bad... That said, I'm kind of used to crawling up over the top, hanging myself halfway in and doing any maintenance/trimming during a major water change with long tools... I'm not the tallest person to start with! But I totally get what you're saying - a shorter tank is easier. That said, if you took 6" off the height, it really changes the perspective and look of the tank.

I guess, at this stage, I'm just interested in figuring out what kind of dimensions would produce the kind of look in those two pictures above. If it's not feasible, it's not feasible...but I'm curious to know what it would take. I can't find much info on either of them other than knowing that the planted one is by Takashi Amano...

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom