Advice on stocking

1. Mmbrown Well Known Member Member

Hi everyone!

So, I'll get right down to it- I've got a 10g set up with a small bn pleco in it. I want to get a bigger tank for him to move into eventually (would you say take a baby step up to a 20 or should I go straight for the bigger tanks that can hold more and more as I go?), but for now I'm looking for some tank mates for him that can continue to live in the 10 after the pleco graduates. The 10 has relatively soft water, pH of about 7, no live plants but a couple places to hide.

Mainly, this next grouping of fish is going to be a birthday present for my boyfriend- we went to the petstore and I wrote down the fish that he thought were cool, and while I've already ruled some of them out (like the cichlids), I've posted the entire list to give you an idea of his tastes. Perhaps you can see what he likes and suggest some fish that would work for us, or maybe there are even fish on the list that would succeed in our aquarium? Thanks so much for any advice and opinions :) I look forward to hearing from you, Fish Lore!

The list:
    Upside down catfish
    Dwarf guorami
    Australian rainbow fish
    Guppies
    Ghost catfish
    Red belly X-ray tetra
    Long finned red minor tetra
    Emerald green Cory catfish
    Julii Cory catfish
    Red tailed black variatus
    Long finned rosy barb
    Rafael catfish
    Blue ram cichlids

2. mosaicguppy Well Known Member Member

The bigger the tank you get the better! The reasons being, you can house more fish and it'll be much easier to maintain than a smaller tank, plus the fish will love all the space you give them. Out of all the fish listed, the only one I know that'll work are the guppies, 10 gallons is pretty small and only the smaller species will live happily in there. If it was me, I would have a school of small fish, ember tetras, neon tetras, celestial pearl danios and dwarf rasboras are all excellent choices. If you would like to add a bigger and colourful fish, I would suggest honey gouramis, they are smaller than DGs and very peaceful. Endlers are another fish that'll work, they look a bit like guppies but much smaller and very colourful, 6 of them with a honey will be fine. :)

3. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

:animal0068:I have moved your thread from Freshwater Beginners to Aquarium Stocking Questions section of the forum.

Thanks!

Ken

4. jbdub Member Member

Yeah get the biggest you can afford, you wont regret it. in some ways they're actually easier to maintain than a smaller one, especially if you have a good external filter.
    You've listed a lot of schooling fish there so it might be best to just pick one species as a tank mate. For example get like 8 tetras to keep with the pleco. :)

5. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Just remember, small tank = small fish. If I were you, I'd sit down at the computer with the BF and research the particular species he likes. Pay particular attention to the tank size they require, the number in their school, if applicable, and what they are compatible with.

6. Mmbrown Well Known Member Member

Great, thanks all. I have been researching lots of littler fish but just wanted to get some more concrete suggestions of what would work.

We will likely end up with a school of smaller fish- so my next question is this. I know most these fish will need to be in groups of about 6, but I've also read it's not a good idea to add too many fish at one time. So do I get the whole group at once or add them in pieces? I feel like adding them in parts would cause the fish to fight and be unhappy, so is that rule of adding fish slowly mainly for unestablished tanks (ours has been up and running for at least 6 months)?

And sorry for all the questions! I just find you guys terribly helpful :)

7. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

When you add fish, especially small species, you can go ahead and add the entire school.

8. Mmbrown Well Known Member Member

Great, thanks. I'm looking forward to getting some new scaly friends.

9. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

How long before you can get the larger tank for the pleco? Even when they're small, you really want to get them into the appropriate size sooner rather than later.

10. Mmbrown Well Known Member Member

I'm currently living in a dorm and so we can't get another tank yet, and even if we could we are only allowed to have up to 20g. In August I'll be moving into an apartment off campus for the next year, so that's when my window of opportunity will begin.

I am concerned about getting a big tank when I live in "temporary" housing so to speak, as I don't know where I'll be moving after I graduate. But I think my desire for the larger tank for our bn (and just in general) will end up outweighing that.

Someone called it "multiple tank syndrome," haha. I believe I'm beginning to feel the onset.