Advice On Stocking New 29gallon

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by meyowmeow, Apr 25, 2017.

?

Should I split my 29 gallon 3 ways?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. meyowmeow

meyowmeow Valued Member Member

I picked up a 29 gallon with used filter and some other odds and ends that I am about to start cycling and have an idea for. (all for $10 wow! :) )
    The tank is 30" L x 12" W x 18" H - What I would like to do is put in 2 tank separators keeping 1 male Betta in an end section, Cherry Red Shrimp in the middle, and a Betta sorority on the other side.
    Something like 7ish gallons for the male Betta, 7ish for the cherries, and then about 15 gallons for the Betta sorority. That would give the sorority half of the tank and the male and cherry shrimp splitting the other half.
    Is this is terrible idea or do you think it will work?
    I currently house the male (baby/juvi) Betta (Admiral Akbar) in a split 10 gallon with cherry shrimp on the other side. They seem to do fine in their current situation but I'm unsure about splitting this one three ways. I am mainly unsure if the Betta sorority will be OK in that amount of space. Their section would end up being about 15" L x 12" W x 18" H. Any advice, opinions, or suggestions are appreciated!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Unfortunately the last section won't be big enough for a betta sorority - they really should be in a 30" tank by themselves.

3. OP
    OP
    meyowmeow

That is the first time I have heard that - I have read in several places 10 gallon and then in a few others recommended 15-20. Have you or do you currently housed a Betta sorority and if so, do you have any other hints/tips I may need? I may just end up letting them have the 29 gallon.

4. TexasDomer

10 gal and 20 gal high don't provide enough of a footprint. A 20 gal long would work, as it's 30" long.

@CindiL would be better able to answer your questions.

5. OP
    OP
    meyowmeow

the 29 gallon I have is 30"x12"x18" - So that would be ok?

6. TexasDomer

For a sorority, yes! But not for a split tank with a sorority.

7. OP
    OP
    meyowmeow

Yes that is what I meant :) thank you much for your help! I will either leave the whole tank to a sorority or not do one at all. The last thing I want are unhappy fins in my house :p

8. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

Hi, I agree with @TexasDomer better to not split it up. I think it sounds perfect for the sorority, some shrimp and perhaps a small school of cories.

How many girls are you looking at having in this tank?

9. OP
    OP
    meyowmeow

I am thinking 5 and do you think loaches would work instead of cory?

10. TexasDomer

I would do at least 7-8 females.

And you could try kuhli loaces?

11. OP
    OP
    meyowmeow

Awesome and that's the type I was thinking so yay! I can't wait to start on my tank!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice