Advice On Stocking & Introduction Plan - New 40g

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by CPARKTX, Jul 20, 2017.

1. CPARKTXValued MemberMember

I am fairly new to the hobby, and I am planning a new 40g long tank and would like feedback on my stocking plan, including when to introduce each. I plan on doing a fish-in cycle using Seachem Stability daily as directed, and phasing in the introduction of the fish.

Tank: 40g long
    Filtration: Fluval 206 + Fluval C4 HOB
    Plants: moderated planted low-tech

AqAdvisor puts this at 84% stocked capacity.

Any suggestions or improvements?

Thanks!

2. mclemente06

mclemente06Valued MemberMember

I would only have a scheduled day to add fish if you are using media from another tank to cycle. Is that your plan? Otherwise looks good!

3. OP
    OP
    C

CPARKTXValued MemberMember

I wasn't planning that but maybe it is a good idea. The other tank will still be in use, so what do I do....take half of the Matrix? Take an old dirty foam pad?

4. mclemente06

mclemente06Valued MemberMember

Yeah take an old piece of filter media out of the old tank and put it in the filter with the new tank, dose a little ammonia to get the bacteria to spread and you're good. What I do is I get a new piece of sponge or something and put it in the old filter for a week then use that for the new filter.

5. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

I would skip the harlequins as they like warmer water than the zebra danios and panda cories. I would also up the RCS to at least 10.

Why a fish in cycle? Fishless cycles are easier, don't harm any fish and are usually faster.

I would add the fish in this order after cycling
    Day 1- 5 zebra danios
    Day 7- 5 zebra danios
    Day 21- 6-8 Peppered cories
    Day 35- 8 pygmy cories and 5-10 amano shrimp
    Day 49- 10-20 Red cherry shrimp (only if the plants have grown in enough and there is some algae growth)
    4 months in- 6 otos

6. OP
    OP
    C

Thank you for the suggestions. Would Cherry Barbs be a better choice than the Harlequins? Any reason for higher numbers of RCS?

7. Sarcasm Included

Sarcasm IncludedWell Known MemberMember

I like @BottomDweller order but I would most likely go
    Day 1- 5 Zebra
    Day 14- 5 Zebra
    Day 21- 6-8 Peppered
    Day 28- 8 Pygmy Cories
    Day 35- shrimp

Agree with the 4 months on the Otos

btw what plants are you doing?

8. OP
    OP
    C

I'm still debating that, but looking for fairly easy low tech plants, probably something along these lines...but I welcome input:

Foreground:
    Anubias. About $5 each.
    • Dwarf Chain Swords (Echinodorus tenellus). $6
    Java moss. Get it loose and glue it in place. $5 per small bunch.

Midground:
    Java Fern. $6 - 8.
    Amazon Sword. $7 - 10 depending on size.
    • Ludwigia ovalis. Fast growing. Red, adds some color. $7

Background:
    • Corkscrew Val. (vallisneria torta). Fast growing, tall. $8
    Water Sprite. Fast growing. $8

9. Sarcasm Included

Sarcasm IncludedWell Known MemberMember

E.Tenellus doesn't do that well in low tech tanks, you would want a true Dwarf Sagittaria (Sagittaria subulata)
    Anubias is good but if your going foreground consider Nana 'petite', or coffeefolia (stays small in lower light)

Red plants have higher light demands than green plants, so while the ludwigia will grow it will be leggy and be mostly green

Corkscrew Val is a great plant!
    Water Sprite in my opinion is better floated, with Water Wisteria looking better planted but those are my opinions.

Put the plants in about a week before the fish to get through the melting and start growing. It will absorb a lot of the ammonia going through, but you will need root tabs/osmocote ferts for the Val and Sword.

10. OP
    OP
    C

Thank you for the pro tips, I'll adjust my plan accordingly!

11. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

Cherry barbs would be ok but rosy barbs, gold barbs or Odessa barbs would be even better. Be aware that any type of barb may harass/munch on the RCS

I increased the number of RCS so they feel safer and establish a breeding colony faster.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice