Advice On Stocking A 50l/13 Gallon Tank.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Jack Heathcote, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Jack Heathcote

Jack Heathcote New Member Member

Hi All,

I've currently got a 50l/13 gallon tank set up and wanted some ideas to stock it with. Temperature sits at 25c, ph at 7.4 and its relatively hard water (I couldn't tell you exactly, but I know my area has hard water for the UK). I wanted some advice on stocking, with some bottom feeders if possible. I have an assassin who I am going to move in there, so I don't want to be put anything in that would give it hassle.

Any and all suggestions welcome :)

2. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

3. OP
    OP
    Jack Heathcote

I'm not exactly sure what Asian stone catfish are, do they have another name/could you clarify what that are?

4. BottomDweller

Asian stone catfish are also called anchor catfish I believe. Their scientific name is Hara jerdoni

5. cjbart1009

cjbart1009 Valued Member Member

Bought some of the Asian stone cats. Never saw them until I broke down my tank. They look really cool tho.

I was looking into guppies and I really like the yellow tiger endlers. If they're available to you locally I suggest you get them. They're stunning.

6. OP
    OP
    Jack Heathcote

If I put in a few guppies and some of the Asian stone cats, would i be ok to put in something like a single male dwarf gourami or some kind of centre piecewise like that?

7. cjbart1009

My roommate has guppies and a dwarf sunset gourami and they don't pay attention to each other.

8. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

Dwarf gouramis need a 20 gallon minimum

9. cjbart1009

If you want gouramis you can go with sparkling gouramis. Same size as a guppy.

10. OP
    OP
    Jack Heathcote

I got told today that not only the volume of the tank matters, but also the surface area. I measured it just now and its 28cm x 37cm (not including the height). Does this change much as to what I can stock? Further to that, the FLS in my area aren't all that great. The only one I have ready access to is a pets at home on the other side of town. Therefore I was looking into buying online. What are the pros and cons online, and are there any sites you'd recommend/avoid?

11. cjbart1009

You can get some fish that aren't readily available in LFS. There are some reputable vendors online. Just depends on what you're trying to get. I usually buy from aquabid and wetspot. But I'm sure there are other places that other members can suggest. The cons from buying fish online for me are DOA's (although they're replaced or refunded. I just hate having to wait for the fish again), sometimes the size isn't what is advertised and the fish being stressed from travel might be ill(usually ick). That's why having a hospital/quarantine tank is always handy.

You can still go with guppies. My personal preference would be endlers because I don't like the big tail regular guppies have. Either will be fine in your tank. Get a pair of you want them to breed but only if you can find a place for all the fry. May it be keeping them in bigger tanks, selling or giving them away.

Is the 28 length and 37 width? Or the other way around?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  12. OP
    OP
    Jack Heathcote

With the photo attached, the 37 is on the right, the 28 on the left. So 37 wide, 28 long.

I checked out those two sites, but they're both US, and I'm in the UK, so I can't use those sadly (if any fellow Brits on her want to recommend me please reply).

I sadly don't have anywhere for fry, so breeding isn't an option for me. However it's fine because i wanted some of the colourful males anyway. In terms of endlers Vs standard(?) Guppies I like both, so besides cosmetic, is there much difference?

Attached Files:

13. BottomDweller

Not much difference between guppies and endlers, guppies get a little bigger.

14. cjbart1009

There are some international sellers on aquabid. Maybe google U.K. Online fish store.

Edit:

Check this out

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice