Advice On Stocking 29 Gallon

Rick07

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a 29 gallon tank that is decently planted. Many hiding spots and areas where the fish dont have a direct line of sight to one another.

Currently I have

4 guppies
10 cherry barbs
1 bushynose pleco
1 male apisto cockatoo
1 female apisto cockatoo

This has been set up for about 3 months now with now with no signs of danger apart from the occasional nipping and chasing the barbs do thankfully!

Question

I was planning on adding 1 female betta to this group. I want to know your opinions on this. I was planning to buy a female that already lived in a sorority tank at the shop, I don't know if that would make a difference in aggressiveness towards my apistos and guppys.

Also I want to know if you think my tank is already overstocked? Or if I should or shouldn't add anymore fish, thanks!

Vancouver Mike

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi all, I have a 29 gallon tank that is decently planted. Many hiding spots and areas where the fish dont have a direct line of sight to one another.

Currently I have

4 guppies
10 cherry barbs
1 bushynose pleco
1 male apisto cockatoo
1 female apisto cockatoo

This has been set up for about 3 months now with now with no signs of danger apart from the occasional nipping and chasing the barbs do thankfully!

Question

I was planning on adding 1 female betta to this group. I want to know your opinions on this. I was planning to buy a female that already lived in a sorority tank at the shop, I don't know if that would make a difference in aggressiveness towards my apistos and guppys.

Also I want to know if you think my tank is already overstocked? Or if I should or shouldn't add anymore fish, thanks!
I assume you meant the betta you want to buy is in a community tank and not part of a sorority tank? If there is a fish sorority..my fish want in! My fish are respectable (except maybe the Blackskirts) but the rest are!

As far as opinions on the betta, if he is in a community now and is doing well, give it a try! It's your tank and if it makes u happy do it! As far as over stocking I would say your fine (1gallon per fish rule fine) I'm not to sure how big your pleco will get so keep that in mind as some get half a foot long and bigger.
I personally like to keep mine to about 1 fish to every 2 gallons but you do you and remember that more fish equals more wc or more filtration if your gonna push the envelope on stocking. Watch Cory on the YouTube channel aquarium Co OP, very helpful with stocking ideas and great info for newer hobbyist like myself.
GL

Rick07

Reaction score
I assume you meant the betta you want to buy is in a community tank and not part of a sorority tank? If there is a fish sorority..my fish want in! My fish are respectable (except maybe the Blackskirts) but the rest are!

As far as opinions on the betta, if he is in a community now and is doing well, give it a try! It's your tank and if it makes u happy do it! As far as over stocking I would say your fine (1gallon per fish rule fine) I'm not to sure how big your pleco will get so keep that in mind as some get half a foot long and bigger.
I personally like to keep mine to about 1 fish to every 2 gallons but you do you and remember that more fish equals more wc or more filtration if your gonna push the envelope on stocking. Watch Cory on the YouTube channel aquarium Co OP, very helpful with stocking ideas and great info for newer hobbyist like myself.
GL
Thanks for the quick response!

The female betta at the store sell in a sorority tank (surprising i know) i was hoping the nature of it would be less aggressive because of that.

And i love watching cory, his channel has helped me a lot in the hobby

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom