Advice On Raising Angelfish Fry Past Month 1 Help

1. Kristen wallace

Kristen wallace New Member Member

So I “mysteriously” acquired a pair of large pure beautiful Angelfish.
    After a few weeks of acclimating in my 65 gallon “Rio Negro”(ish) community tank I awoke to find a massive amount of eggs laid on a plant they had uprooted and positioned to their liking.
    I decided not to intervene, by which I mean I decided not to pull the eggs and instead focus most of my time on researching what to do next and acquiring supplies, slowly moving all other inhabitants of the tank to other tanks, changing the water etc etc.
    They turned out to be impeccable parents. Aside from about 5 or 10 eggs that were white from the time I originally discovered them, every other egg survived, developed, wiggled, escaped their sacs and became an Angelfish.
    The eggs were laid May 5, a little over a month and a half ago. To my knowledge, every single one has survived.
    Last week I decided that as happy of a family as they were, it was unrealistic that this set up could continue and it was time to move to the next step. This is where my research has really stalled.
    There is a plethora of information leading up to this point but beyond a few fairly broad snipets of information here or there I just can’t find the kind of detailed information I am looking for so am hoping others might be able to grace me with any personal knowledge they might have on going forward!
    I feel my next step should be separating the babies into several different tanks. (I did get the parents their own 45 gallon tall tank all to themselves about a week ago and moved them over. They got settled for a few days and yesterday I see that they have again graced their plant of choice with offspring so I assume they are doing well and taken care of.). BUT the babies I have now. I think my next step should be separating them into a few tanks.
    I will take the best of the best that I want to keep and leave them in my 65 gallon. Then I will take the next level of very good lookers and put them in a grow out tank with the idea that these will probably end up being the ones that are sold, donated, given away as secret Santa gifts etc etc etc. then I will put any runts in separate grow out tank from that to give them one last chance to quickly catch up before, well, before they “don’t make the cut...”the whole time looking for any deformities or issues and culling as necessary.
    They are currently about dime size.
    What are the best sizes for grow out tanks for each of these groups? Another one of my favorite past times is scouring sales, the internet, second hand stores etc etc etc and aquiring aquariums that are just basically such an amazing deal that really in the end I would be LOSING money if I didn’t buy them....So not too limited, just interested in what the sort of industry standard is.
    Then....the biggest issue I am having....who makes the cut, and what cut do they make or do they get cut. Literally. I don’t mean to sound like the “parent whose angelfish can do no wrong” but I swear I can literally find NOT ONE of the roughly(I can’t count that high when dealing with moving targets)....80? Angelfish babies that I can deem cull worthy based on my research of what cull worthy would be.
    As I said before this is where I noticed the amount and quality of available information really plummeting. I have the “official” Angelfish Authority list of characteristics that a fish must be culled for but none of these guys is inflicted with any of those issues. There are about 5 fish I would say are “runts” only based on the fact they are smaller than their peers. I saw a few dorsal fins that weren’t quite as straight as everyone else’s and a few ventrals that looked a little shorter than everyone else but that’s it and to be honest I am really really looking for SOMETHING to be an issue because it’s very hard for me to believe that after EVERY SINGLE FRY SURVIVED they would also all be perfect and then my internal voice begins to ask if I’m going crazy and it’s just a whole big thing.
    SO I would love advice on the ways to separate into growout tanks, what people are separating by and for, reasons, physical characteristics to breed for sell for DEFINITELY not allow to breed for....etc.
    I’m aware that the lack of viable information available in regard to this could very well be because these are the types of things that one just can’t explain, personal preference plays a role, you just know it when you see it phenomenon etc etc. BUT I would love as many opinions as facts as stories as ideas and so forth on raising angelfish fry past the one month/pre to just dime size mark from anyone who can share:)

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to Fishlore, sounds like you have your hands, or should I say tanks, full :)
    Hope our angel breeding members, @bizaliz3 is one that comes to mind, can help answer your questions today

3. Corrie Williamson

Corrie Williamson Valued Member Member

I am by no means an expert, @bizaliz3 and @Mcasella are much more experienced than I am.

I think that 80 in a 65 at 1 month old should be fine if you are doing water changes every 2 to 3 days.

When you separate them it is really your choice as to how. I do think the plan to separate the smallest into their own tank is a good one. With that many fish competing for food they may not be getting enough to eat.

With such a large spawn you will need a couple of tanks for them to grow out in. Possibly 2 40 gallons in addition to the 65? Or another larger tank divided initially to keep the smaller ones on one side and the bigger on the other side to allow the smaller ones to have less competition for food initially. Hopefully someone with more experience can give you some help.

I only raised 1 large spawn of 64 and I only had a 55 gallon so I had to do water changes every other day and started selling the big juveniles at 3 months.