Advice on PraziPro for gill flukes

CJLand

PH: 7.5
GH: 6
KH: 6
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 25

I have a yo-yo loach in which I believe it has gill flukes. I got him many years ago (maybe around 4-5). For the past few years now I’ve noticed him flashing and bashing himself on the substrate. It was obviously very concerning but it wasn’t all too often and I had no idea what to really do about it as I was very uneducated about a lot in the fish keeping hobby. Sometimes he did it a few times a month, sometimes a few times a week, and sometimes I didn’t see it at all for months. I’ve always known something was wrong but everything else about his behavior was normal. I moved him to a bigger tank (54 gallons)about 3 months ago and all seemed great since the move. But the past week or so he seems to be flashing a lot as well as being lethargic and breathing heavily. Being a loach it’s hard to tell between being lethargic and just being normal since they tend to always lay upside down or on there side. But now it seems like there’s a problem and it definitely seems like gill flukes to me. I have PraziPro that I haven’t dosed yet since I have some concerns. Given that he could have had these flukes for such a long period of time, the infestation may be larger than normal, which is concerning when treating since it can be hard on the fish expelling all the parasites. Regardless I have to do something. I know Prazi is relatively a safe medication but different fish do better than others with medicating. Do you have any advise or experience treating with PraziPro and loaches? I’ve also read that regardless of the infestation being taken care of, the excess mucus a fish produces to defend against flukes can still cause breathing issues permanently if the infestation was severe enough due to it clogging gill tissues. I personally have no idea, just something I read in which I’d like to hear more opinions on. Any advice on the situation? Thank you!

Oh I have no quarantine tanks available right now for treatment, so I would have to treat the main tank, which has 5 black neon tetras that I’ve noticed start flashing and swimming weird. And given that Prazi doesn’t affect the nitrogen cycle, I don’t think it’s a very big deal dosing the main tank

A201

Maybe try "Microbe lift Herbtana".
It's an effective botanical anti parasitic med. Loaches don't usually do well with conventional meds.
Herbtana cleared up an Ich outbreak for me. Petco sells it.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
CJLand
Replies
Views
Jo7984
Replies
Views
schmalzy_x0
Replies
Views