Advice On Plants

Faye Allen

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello all!

I am thinking of putting a couple of live plants in my tank, as I don't like the hideous plastic ones I bought when I first got it and also I think it will be nicer for my fishies!
However, I haven't the foggiest idea what i'm going to need to set it up, I've just got yellow gravel on the bottom of my tank so will I need to grow it in a pot? What do you need to put in the pot with the plant? What are good beginner plants?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Jeffcameron

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I agree with Nick Java fern is very easy and will survive on low light. I attached Java fern to driftwood by tying the roots down gently with black cotton.

Java moss is also a low light plant that is good for attaching to rocks or wood in your tank. The best suggestion I've seen for this is to put the moss on the item you want to attach it to and then put a hair net over the top untill the moss attaches itself to the object.

I also have Asian Ambulia which is another fairly hardy, low light plant that looks quite good planted towards the back or sides of a tank as it grows quite tall. I just planted that in my substrate and was very careful vacuuming in that area untill the roots had settled in.

In the end it really comes down to the type of lighting you have as to what you can grow. I have fairly low light as do many people which is why I've suggested the above plants.

Last edited:

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Welcome to Fish Lore!

If you can tell us what kind of lighting you have, it'll be easier to suggest plants.

There are plenty of plants that don't need to be planted in the substrate and believe it or not, plants can grow well in gravel. Anubias, like java fern, are tied to objects in the tank instead of being planted. Many of them are low light plants. Mosses are probably the easiest to grow, and there are so many to choose from. Check out plantgeek.net to get an idea of what appeals to you.

-Lisa

striker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Welcome to Fish Lore!

If you can tell us what kind of lighting you have, it'll be easier to suggest plants.

There are plenty of plants that don't need to be planted in the substrate and believe it or not, plants can grow well in gravel. Anubias, like java fern, are tied to objects in the tank instead of being planted. Many of them are low light plants. Mosses are probably the easiest to grow, and there are so many to choose from. Check out plantgeek.net to get an idea of what appeals to you.

-Lisa
I agree with you. Most plants can grow well in gravel. I have aponogeton plants (about 9 of them in my 10 gallon) and 3 anubias planted in my gravel that I got from walmart.

snail_chen

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Exceptions: don't bury the following plants in the gravel or they will die from suffocation of the roots:

all kinds of moss, like Flame Moss, Java Moss, Xmas Moss, Riccia fluitans etc.
many ferns: Java Fern, Bolbitus etc.

Tie them to driftwood or cover with fishing line/stainless mesh in the case of moss.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom