Advice on planted pre water change tank

1. S

Swirve New Member Member

Hi,

I used to keep fish many years ago so i know the basics. The one thing i did not try was having a smaller just planted tank that id use for the water that would then go into my main tank at water change stage (main tank also will be well planted).

The other reason is that the water supply in my area now has pretty high nitrate concentration just under 40, so im thinking about a more sustainable natural way to bring this down.

So the plan was to have a tank with fast growing plants add in a little plant food then take the water from that tank into the main periodically.

The water from the main tank will just be dispossed of on my garden (as im not aware of a way to remove fish hormones, which is an important reason?).

Is something like this realistically going to work or am I wasting my time?

Main tank is about 180 to 200 litres and smaller tank 60 to 80 litres.

Edit. Im in the process of a fishless cycle so have a little time to establish before hand.

Thanks.

2. a

axel Well Known Member Member

Definitely will work..as long as your plants not dying.

3. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydro Well Known Member Member

In theory it could work. Another option would be to use an RO filter though.

4. o

oldsalt777 Well Known Member Member

Hello Sw...

If you're keep a basic tank with fish from the local pet store, then I wouldn't fret over a nitrate reading of 40. If this is how the water comes from your tap, then simply change out the tank water. Nitrates are the end result of the nitrogen cycle and a reading of 40 ppm is well within the limits. The vast majority of aquarium fish will adapt to the vast majority of public water supplies, they've been doing this for many decades.

Set up and follow a sound water change routine by removing and replacing at least half the tank water weekly. This will maintain a steady chemistry for the fish. Trying to change the makeup of the tank water is a waste of time and is something that requires considerable work. This isn't something you need to do if you're keeping a basic tank.

Old