advice on pics of fish

1. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

Should you use a flash or not when taking pics of fish? Any other tips? I got an awesome 35mm camera for Christmas.

2. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

You can use a flash, but be careful not to stand directly in front of the tank when you take the picture. If you take the photo at an angle, you won't get that white spot you sometimes see on photos. The light from the flash reflects on the glass and shows up in your picture when you shoot directly in front.

3. Mike Fishlore Admin Moderator Member

Just to add to what Gunnie said - I stand in front of the tank, but I tilt the camera at a 45 degree angle while taking the photo. It can also help to swap out backgrounds on the tank, at least while taking photos. A non-reflective, dark background seems to work best for me.

4. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Sometimes if you turn all the room lights off and just have the lights on in the tank your photographing you don't have to use a flash.
    And be ready to take hundreds of pictures in order to get a few good ones ;)

And ooohhh Mike How about sharing some of those pictures with us. Especially the salt water ones now that we have a few saltys with us ;D
    Carol

5. Mike Fishlore Admin Moderator Member

Here's some photos that I took yesterday. I had some really bad ones of the fairy basslet on it's profile page - but I updated it since I was already taking pictures of some of my new inverts that I picked up yesterday. The really blurry one is a cerith snail. I'm still trying to get a good photo of one of them. They're super tiny - about 1/4 - 1/2 inch. They like to hide while they lights are on but they get fairly active once the lights go out.

The other photos are a yellow tang, red leg hermit and a margarita snail.

Attached Files:

6. Mike Fishlore Admin Moderator Member

Heres a larger view of the basslet

Attached Files:

7. dahly Member Member

How do you post them? I need to put my digital shots on my computers hard drive, then I am lost?

8. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Dahly,
    When you transfer your photos from your camera to your pc, you can then go to a site like www.photobucket.com and once you register, you can transfer your images to their website for free. Then you can post your pictures here.

9. dahly Member Member

Thanks! And Beautiful pictures Mike!

10. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

Outstanding! - Mike

11. Mike Fishlore Admin Moderator Member

Thanks guys

Dahly - as long as the photos are under 400kb you can post them here.  Directly under the box that you type in the message there is an additional options link, click on that and the attachments text box becomes visible.  Next to the attach text box there is a browse button. Click that to browse your hard drive for the photo you want to attach to the message.  If you have multiple photos you want to post there is a "more attachments" link to the right of the browse button to add more photos. 

Gunnie had a great suggestion if you have many photos that you want to keep online.  Also, Isabella has a link to putfile.com in her signature - that's a good place to keep your photos online and you can copy and paste the url from the address box in your web browser into the messages here on fishlore.

Let me know if you need more help.

12. Jason Well Known Member Member

WOW GREAT PICS

13. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

Thanks for the advice everyone, and great pics Mike! Too bad my camera isn't digital so I can't post pictures here.

14. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

If you have a scanner, you could scan and then upload! ;D

15. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

The fish are so colorful! I didn't know saltwater fish are this beautiful! Truly amazing :)

16. dahly Member Member

Multi pictures are up! Chech "Species specific"

17. jim55379 Member Member

Mike that is the most beautiful purplish/blue fish I have ever seen. To the readers out there I like to transfer my photos on my computer from the camera and NOT online because you can view them while offline and computer responds much faster. I never use a flash but just turn on my flourescent lites with the room lites on as normal. Sometimes you can play with shutter/apperature speeds but I think just leaving the camera on auto is best most of the time. the camera is smarter and quicker to adjust than we are......

18. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

Temp needs to be 85 and for at least 14 days So sorry about your fish. My sympathies.

Rose
    :(

19. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

Really delayed response, no I don't have a scanner. :( Oh well, I can enjoy all of your pictures. ;D