Advice On New Odessa Barbs

Lcas1

HI have just got my tank cycled fishless. have added my first 4 fish had in mind rasbora but when I went to lfs had a look around and saw Odessa barbs asked how big they will get was told 2inch max so thought ok liked the look of them now got them in the tank as of last night but have read up on them and some say 2inch others are saying can get as big as 4 inch they aren't even in a full school at the min and looks like I could already be at the limit of fish I can have my tank is 27 gal.what can I do? Take them back before they grow? Also are very inactive at the min just hiding at back of tank is this normal? Am fairly new to the hobby have had a 10 gal a couple of years ago wanted to do everything right this time!

Calwhovian

Lcas1 said:
HI have just got my tank cycled fishless. have added my first 4 fish had in mind rasbora but when I went to lfs had a look around and saw Odessa barbs asked how big they will get was told 2inch max so thought ok liked the look of them now got them in the tank as of last night but have read up on them and some say 2inch others are saying can get as big as 4 inch they aren't even in a full school at the min and looks like I could already be at the limit of fish I can have my tank is 27 gal.what can I do? Take them back before they grow? Also are very inactive at the min just hiding at back of tank is this normal? Am fairly new to the hobby have had a 10 gal a couple of years ago wanted to do everything right this time!
I did a little bit of research on these barbs and apparently they prefer to be in larger schools of 5 or more. If the fish aren't moving much, it might be a sign that the water might still have some bacteria that are harmful to the fish. You might have not finished the cycle and added the fish, which would make it a fish-in cycle, which is even harder than a regular cycle. This could also mean the water is hotter/colder than the fish prefer. These types of barbs prefer 24-26 C, or 75-78 F.

Lcas1

My ammonia is 0 nitrite 0 nitrate around 10ppm temp of tank is 26 so am a little confused could it be they are still a bit shy after 24 hours or so in tank when I fed them for first time tonight they were flying all over eating was great then went straight back hiding weird.

Calwhovian

It might just be the fish adjusting to the tank, or they might feel shy as they're not in their favorable group size. Try getting 2 more barbs. I've done some more research and I also couldn't find the certain size these barbs would grow to, but for now 6 would be fine. It would be better if you put more live plants for them to nip on and to add more oxygen to the water. The rule of thumb is 1 inch per gallon, so if the fish really did reach 4 inches it should be fine as long as you have a strong filter and a water change every 2-3 weeks.

Lcas1

Calwhovian said:
It might just be the fish adjusting to the tank, or they might feel shy as they're not in their favorable group size. Try getting 2 more barbs. I've done some more research and I also couldn't find the certain size these barbs would grow to, but for now 6 would be fine. It would be better if you put more live plants for them to nip on and to add more oxygen to the water. The rule of thumb is 1 inch per gallon, so if the fish really did reach 4 inches it should be fine as long as you have a strong filter and a water change every 2-3 weeks.
HI I added 1 more Odessa barband bought more plants for aquarium thing is the new fish and 3 of the others are doing brilliantly exploring about all come to eat but 1 of the first ones just keeps hiding and hardly moving hasn't come out to eat for last 2 days now think he may be sick or just completely stressed out all parameters in water are still the same so am at a loss what to do

Calwhovian

Lcas1 said:
HI I added 1 more Odessa barband bought more plants for aquarium thing is the new fish and 3 of the others are doing brilliantly exploring about all come to eat but 1 of the first ones just keeps hiding and hardly moving hasn't come out to eat for last 2 days now think he may be sick or just completely stressed out all parameters in water are still the same so am at a loss what to do
It might just be the fish. If the others are doing better than they were before the new fish got added, that's great. Give the last fish a few more days, but if it doesn't eat, inquire with your fish store about returns or exchanges for fish.

Forgot to ask: How large are the odessa barbs right now? If the fish is at about max size, it might just be dying of age. If not, there's nothing you can really do about it.ead:

Lcas1

Calwhovian said:
It might just be the fish. If the others are doing better than they were before the new fish got added, that's great. Give the last fish a few more days, but if it doesn't eat, inquire with your fish store about returns or exchanges for fish.

Forgot to ask: How large are the odessa barbs right now? If the fish is at about max size, it might just be dying of age. If not, there's nothing you can really do about it.ead:
They are all around inch and half it is one of the original fish that is acting odd and it is the smallest out of the five will just see what it does

Calwhovian

Alright

Lcas1

Calwhovian said:
Got home today all 5 have been out swimming around and all eaten looks like he was just settling in lol

FLDawna

I have a school of mature Odessa Barbs and they are about 2 1/2". They are very beautiful and active fish. You'll enjoy them!

Lcas1

FLDawna said:
I have a school of mature Odessa Barbs and they are about 2 1/2". They are very beautiful and active fish. You'll enjoy them!
Yes must admit when they were all out tonight some of their colours were starting to show a bit more they looked beautiful.nice red coming through on 2 of the smaller ones presume they are male

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom