Advice on Litter training

FishFor2018

Hello fellow fish and bunny lovers!
I would usually go on the rabbit forum website but it’s down so I’m hoping someone can help me out on here. I found a dumped bunny a few weeks ago and we are keeping him, he’s healthy and was just neutered Tuesday so it’s almost been a week. He’s having some issues with pooping in his litter box, and he enjoys pulling out all his hay from the hay feeder and wasting most of it, any advice on these issues? My other bunny is fully litter trained but I don’t remember her having so much poop outside the litter box. He just randomly poops around his cage not in a certain corner or anything, should I just keep picking it up and eventually he’ll get better with using the litter box?
Thanks!

Kaity

FishFor2018 said:
Hello fellow fish and bunny lovers!
I would usually go on the rabbit forum website but it’s down so I’m hoping someone can help me out on here. I found a dumped bunny a few weeks ago and we are keeping him, he’s healthy and was just neutered Tuesday so it’s almost been a week. He’s having some issues with pooping in his litter box, and he enjoys pulling out all his hay from the hay feeder and wasting most of it, any advice on these issues? My other bunny is fully litter trained but I don’t remember her having so much poop outside the litter box. He just randomly poops around his cage not in a certain corner or anything, should I just keep picking it up and eventually he’ll get better with using the litter box?
Thanks!
You got it just keep picking it up and putting it in the box he will get it eventually. As far as hay goes... Some are just messy and some like to build cosy nests out of their snacks. If both bunnies are using the same box add a second right next to it so there's plenty of room for both bunnies. With time you should be able to consolidate back to one litter box if they are sharing a cage.

FishFor2018

Kaity said:
You got it just keep picking it up and putting it in the box he will get it eventually. As far as hay goes... Some are just messy and some like to build cosy nests out of their snacks. If both bunnies are using the same box add a second right next to it so there's plenty of room for both bunnies. With time you should be able to consolidate back to one litter box if they are sharing a cage.
Okay thanks, just wasn’t sure as my other bunny was never a pooper or hay waster like he is lol. He’s still separated from the other bun but I do plan on having separate litter boxes but in the same area if they get along. Thanks!

Snailnewbie2020

Hello. I found it helpful to have hay in the litter tray as bunnies like to eat hay while they toilet. With poops, I was never able to stop my bunny doing a few around the place. I just picked them up and put them in his litter tray. I know hay feeders are neater but I just had hay in a pile and found my bunny enjoyed eating the hay like that.

You are so kind for rescuing this bunny. He sounds very lucky you found him.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom