Advice on keeping multiple dwarf gourami and the correct ratio.

IzabelB
I’m thinking way ahead here for stocking my dirted 40 gallon breeder that has not yet been set up.
It’s going to be as densely planted as possible, with nerites, shrimp, a small school of harlequin rasboras, and another small school of either ember or rummy nose tetras. For the centerpiece I want a pair or trio of neon blue dwarf gourami. I’ve never kept aggressive fish other than bettas, so I need some help with male to female ratio, or if you think I should just get two or three females.
Would 1 male, 2 females work in a 40 breeder?
Also if anyone has info about health issues, please tell me about that too. I don’t want to get them if they are going to get sick even with good parameters, I don’t know much about medicating fish.
TIA.

PurpleReign19
IzabelB said:
I’m thinking way ahead here for stocking my dirted 40 gallon breeder that has not yet been set up.
It’s going to be as densely planted as possible, with nerites, shrimp, a small school of harlequin rasboras, and another small school of either ember or rummy nose tetras. For the centerpiece I want a pair or trio of neon blue dwarf gourami. I’ve never kept aggressive fish other than bettas, so I need some help with male to female ratio, or if you think I should just get two or three females.
Would 1 male, 2 females work in a 40 breeder?
Also if anyone has info about health issues, please tell me about that too. I don’t want to get them if they are going to get sick even with good parameters, I don’t know much about medicating fish.
TIA.
One male, two females should be fine but if you can make that 3 females that would be best. Lots of plant cover to break their line of vision would be very helpful. Unfortunately DGs are prone to the Dwarf gourami irodovirus, which can cause slow deterioration until death. They also tend to have internal parasites that could affect their health. The key is to get them from a reputable breeder/LFS and keep the water is pristine condition along with giving them a well rounded diet. They truly are a beautiful fish so if you can keep them healthy they would make a fantastic centerpiece. Good luck

FinalFins
User jinjerJOSH22 has noted with his experience with keeping dwarf gourami in multiple numbers has not ended well even with mixed genders, along with that they are really, really, sick fish.

My thoughts on Dwarf Gourami/Trichogaster Lalius

Latest threads

Top Bottom