Advice on giving my Betta a salt bath

devsi

After researching, the steps seem to be:
  • Have one container with 1tbsp of salt per Gallon
  • Have another container 1/4tbsp of salt per Gallon
  • Make sure both containers are the right temperature etc
  • Add Betta in a bag for 10-15 minutes, then release into the salt Bath
  • After 5 minutes move to the second container, for 5 minutes
  • Put Betta back in bag and re-acclimatise to the main tank.

Are these steps correct? I was surprised by the need for two containers and to have to put the Betta in a bag. Wouldn’t that stress him out more?

Can’t I put him in a cup to acclimatise him, put him in the salt Bath, and then hold the cup in the main tank for 10-15 minutes and then release him without needing a bag?

I could do with some advice on the best way to carry out this salt Bath. Thanks!

Source: Aquarium Salt For Bettas (FAQ) - Betta Care Fish Guide

devsi

We do have plants and snails. Would also rather do a bath so we can make sure there’s no leftover salt.

Edit: it is Aquarium salt, not Epsom.

BigManAquatics

Ok, those instructions sound pretty inclusive.

devsi

Thanks :) so it definitely needs the two containers and to use a bag and not just a cup?

BigManAquatics

Personally i would mix the salt in a gallon of water, fill the cup, float the cup then put the betta in it after 20 minures or so.

devsi

Do you mean you’d fill the cup with the salt water, float the cup in the tank, then put the Betta in the cup that’s floating in the tank, as opposed to putting him in the gallon of water?

BigManAquatics

Yep. It is important to mix the salt into that gallon of water though. Floating the cup for awhile will get the water pretty close temp wise before putting the betta in it. Also, i do like to keep one of the betta cups they usually come in for such things!

devsi

Thanks BigManAquatics ! So, to summarise:

• Fill one container with 1 gallon of water and 1tbsp of salt, making sure the water is the same temperature as the tank.
  • Fill up a cup with the salt water
  • Float the cup in the Betta tank for ~20 minutes
  • Add Betta to cup for ~5-8 minutes
  • Put Betta back into his tank
Is that correct?

Also, i do like to keep one of the betta cups they usually come in for such things!

Bettas come in cups?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Whitelightning
Replies
Views
FrostedFlakes
Replies
Views
kdwyer
Replies