Advice on eliminating pond snails (possibly a loach?)

1. flyin-lowe Well Known Member Member

If you check my profile you will see I have a 75 gallon community tank (at my grandmothers house) that I am working on. The fish I have are community and the largest ones are the black skirt tetras. Mainly danio's, platy's, etc. In the beginning I didn't mind the occasional pond snail but now its starting to get bad and I don't want it to get out of control. Each water change I probably pull at least twenty out. A few day's later there are more then ever. Are there any fish that stay relatively small (under 5-6 inches) that will get along with my stock and eat up some snails. I am telling my grandmother to keep the feedings down to once a day. The first couple months while cycling she only fed a few flakes every other day. What would you do?

2. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Other than not feeding as much, which you know about, you can try putting a peice of lettuce in the tank at night.
    It should be filled with snails in the morning. Then just toss it.
    You'd probably have to do this several times if there's that many.

I'm pretty sure there are loaches that eat snails. Off hand, I can't think of one, sorry.
    I know someone else will see this thread and be able to answer your question.

3. Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

Try the yo yo loach

4. David C Well Known Member Member

I use yo-yo loaches and they keep my snails under control. They are also extremely active and a joy to watch, they are always playing. I highly recommend them.

Dave

5. TFA101 Well Known Member Member

I second that! ^^ yoyos are the best snail eater IMO

6. flyin-lowe Well Known Member Member

I added the yo yo today. According to the LFS ( I know not to trust them) the yo yo is a little more aggressive then my current stock. Do you guys find them to be aggressive at all or not?

7. TFA101 Well Known Member Member

being an active fish he may appear a little feisty, but when kept in a group of 3+ that should keep them occupied with each other. Both your tanks should be able to hold a trio of yo yos.