Advice on correct filter media

Nefersmum

Having tried just about everything else to salvage my poor aquarium - and on the edge of giving the whole thing up as a bad job - I was reviewing my aquarium last night. I'm down from 12 wc minnows to just the one poor little tiddler and I am at a loss as to where I am going wrong or what to do other than find a new home for my one little lad, drain the tank and move in the gerbils.

Water parameters are sound and stable but I have been plagued with algae and dying plants and fish over a year period.

The only thing I haven't tried so far is altering the filter media I use. Currently I'm running a Fluval U2 internal filter with the little ceramic[?] pellets that came with and foam pads which I always rinse through with tank water on water changes.

Is there something I am missing? I'd be glad of some advice.

JakeXP

I'm guessing you have the Fluval Roma 90 judging by the U2 filter. I have the Roma 200 and one of my first purchases was upgrading the U4 filter to the Fluval 407 canister filter and I couldn't recommend the switch enough. I think the internal filters are fairly ample for what they are, but in terms of filtration quality, media space, and freeing up room in your tank, the canisters are miles better. When I made the switch I couldn't believe it when the bio media from my U4 wasn't even enough to fill a quarter of one of the drawers - and there are several drawers for bio media in the 407.

In terms of media, I personally use Seachem Matrix for the bulk of mine with some Fluval Biomax rings to pad out the rest of the space.

Back to your question though, how long has your tank been established? I made the mistake early on of over cleaning the filter or cleaning it when it wasn't necessary. I'd definitely suggest you wouldn't be getting enough waste through your filter to warrant rinsing the sponges every water change, so perhaps this could be causing small cycle crashes each time. I wouldn't suggest it's necessarily an issue with your media.

OP
Nefersmum

Nefersmum

Mine is a 90 l tank. I was advised the sponges needed a bit of a rinse every change.

I'm just going over possible options before I make a final decision on whether or not to carry on. I can't, in good conscience, bring in more critters only for them to turn up their fins.

New Threads