Advice on black phantom tetras please?

Discussion in 'Tetras' started by babygirl303, Apr 5, 2010.

1. b

babygirl303 New Member Member

I'm planning on getting a male/female pair of black phantom tetras to go in my community tank, ive read that you can keep them as a pair instead of in a group like most tetras, but i dont know anyone whose kept any, so i cant ask about their general behaviour in the tank...

Also i have a pregnant platy, and i know the odds of many of the fry surviving with the parents around aren't great, but i was wondering wheather the tetra will hunt them as badly as say the angelfish (who are said to eat every little one without fail), or wheather they'd just eat them if they got in their way.

2. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Not sure about that particular tetra but most are extremely nippy if not kept in schools. It's also hard to tell male and females until mature.

Most livebearers like your platys will eat their fry. a good way to combat that is with lots of plants(live or artificial), tank decor or wood to provide places for them to hide.
    Carol

3. OP
    OP
    b

Thanx =)

4. s

snakestorm526 Valued Member Member

I have a school of 5 in my community tank. 2 males and 3 females. They don't seem to bother any of my other fish. I have other schools of tetras and danios in my tank. They sometimes chase each other, but very seldomly and briefly. I do not know how they behave around fry. The females will have red bottom fins.

5. red020804

red020804 Valued Member Member

i dont know about male and female black phantom tetras but i have two males and they seem to get along with our other fish. they do nip at each other occasionally but they dont hurt each other. as for the fry issue we had a molly give birth without warning, cause we had just brought her home from the pet store then the next morning woke up and she had had fry. the tetras went after and ate them. now im not expert but that is my experience with them. good luck

6. OP
    OP
    b

thanx for that, its funny, cos i just brought a female molly home yesterday, thought i might try my hand at breeding them... maybe the tetras aren't a great idea, might just leave it as a livebearer tank after all.

7. Kunsthure

Kunsthure Well Known Member Member

I've got 6, I think an even split between males and females and they are BORING! They just kinda float there, not really swimming (the platy and her fry in with them are active and happy so I think it's just the fish's personality). I'm returning them because they aren't right for my tank.

I have about 8 platy fry in the tank and the black phantoms are too small to eat the fry and they fry don't seem the least bit concerned about them.

-Lisa

8. OP
    OP
    b

Thanks for that lisa, much to think about now lol.

9. S

Stone220 New Member Member

I have six of them two males and four females, They are alright in my tank but they are the only fish in the tank so I am not sure how they would react towards live fry, they can be a bit nippy however towards each other but it is never anything too serious.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice