Advice on Betta Tank Mates

1. hmayes

hmayes Valued Member Member

Okay so I just had some serious trouble setting up a new tank for my Betta. (Lack of education on nitrogen cycle, lost a lot of tankmates). Anyway I have that under control now. My question to you all is what do.l you recommend as tank mates? I won't be adding anything until my tank is cycled and stable but just want to get people's opinions. [​IMG]Here is my setup:

- 20G high tank
    - quiet flow 20 (may upgrade to a higher GPH bio wheel)
    -75°
    - 1 live plant and several silk (will add more live at some point)
    - 1 Betta
    - 3 glass cat
    - 1 Otocinclus

What else should I put in this tank? The Betta is pretty timid by Betta standards. At one point had pleco and shrimp in there and the Betta never bothered anything, seems happy.

2. lfabb

lfabb Valued Member Member

A school of non nipping tetras would work. Like neons or embers

3. OP
    OP
    hmayes

That would be cool. How many do you think I could/should fit in the tank? Given the existing stock

4. Airth

Airth Valued Member Member

The cats and otos prefer to be in bigger groups. I'd bump their numbers up to at least 6 each before thinking about adding anything else. Or rehome them.

5. codyrex97

codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Glass cats would need a bigger tank. I would rehome them. Otocinclus needs buddies. I'd say get 5 more otos and rehome glass cats.

After that, ember tetra would do well. I would also get shrimp again. There's a variety to choose from, my favorite is the Amano (or Japanese Algae Eater) and the Crystal Reds. Other ones are ghost shrimp which are dirt cheap, and red cherries

6. Mifuluhu

Mifuluhu Well Known Member Member

I have 3 African dwarf frogs with my beta and they are fine together. I love these froggies....very fun to watch. But they don't do well with other fish stock for feeding purposes. If you just have the beta it would work.[​IMG]

7. Danjamesdixon

Danjamesdixon Well Known Member Member

Neons and Embers are a bad choice for Betta tankmates - both can be nippy, particularly Neons. I'd steer clear of any small schooling fish.

Frogs can work, but competition can be an issue as mentioned. Generally it is advised that frogs be kept in species only tanks.

In your situation, i'd rehome the Glass Cats, get 5 more Otos and call it a day. There is absolutely no need to risk lives by trying to keep tankmates with your Betta. He will not appreciate it, regardless of how "timid" you may believe he is.

8. Bellatrix

Bellatrix Valued Member Member

Can I ask why you want to put things in there with him? He's not lonely. Fish aren't people, this type of fish as I'm sure your know like being alone so why upset him?

9. Grimund

Grimund Well Known Member Member

Betta also need a warmer temp for health reasons. The 78°-82° mark is what to shoot for.

10. L

Landos Well Known Member Member

It depends on the betta. I had a docile betta that didnt even bother my platys.
    Also, how do you know your nitrogen cycle is complete?

11. OP
    OP
    hmayes

I know about the water temp. I got some advice on another thread about it. 75° is mid temp range for both glass cats and Betta. Betta tops out at 82° according to seriouslyfish.com. I've been advised that keeping them at the far extreme of their temp range is not good for the fish.

Also, I know that my tank is NOT cycled yet. Ammonia is still high. I have a ways to go with it. But I'm using prime and stability and daily PWCs. I'm not going to add anything until it's stable.

With respect to adding tank mates with the Betta. I know Betta like to be alone. I'm not trying to keep him company. I just want more fish in the tank. This Betta seems perfectly happy with the current tank mates.

Thanks for the ideas so far. I like the idea of the neon tetras. I'll have to do further research about the nipping with them.

12. Airth

Airth Valued Member Member

Neons prefer cooler temperatures than what bettas prefer. If you're dead set on them, go with cardinals. They have a higher temperature range according to the feedback I've seen on other threads.

13. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

75 is way too cold for a betta. If you really want some more fish in the tank, why not just move the betta to a tank by itself and then set up this tank with more temp compatible fish?