Question Advice on ADFs and Otocinclus?

mewberries

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm planning on housing 2 otocinclus in my 5 gallon with two african dwarf frogs and a mystery snail. I hear it's very hit or miss on whether or not they'll get along, with the possibility of them getting into a deathlock. Does anyone have experience with these two living together, or some advice on how to help them get along and prevent one trying to eat the other? I feed them bloodworms or brine shrimp on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays so they're far from underfed, but I know ADFs tend to lunge at anything that resembles food.

bogmummy

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
A five-gallon tank is too small for most fish. You could maybe get more frogs, but other than that I wouldn't.

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No more frogs and especially no Otos actually.

About 50% of all Otos die within the first week because they are mostly wildcaught and starved. You'd need at least 6-8, even better 10 and at least a 20-30 gallon tank.

Dch48

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The frogs and the snail will be fine together but the frogs may attack the Oto's if they even survive in the first place. Since the frogs are bottom feeders, I would only put small fish that feed at the surface or midway under. That will reduce the competition for food. They will probably be better off with no fish at all though. You could probably have 3 frogs in a 5 gallon without issues if it is well established and maintained.

New Threads