Advice on 10g what would you do?

Pfrozen

Well Known
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm getting a backwater rasbora setup going. Right now I only have 4 rasboras, 1 bamboo and 5 RCS. I have 3 more rasboras arriving Friday. Question is, should I do a centerpiece fish or am I fully stocked? I was considering 1 peacock gudgeon (goby) since they grow to 2 inches. Also, I know shrimp in Blackwater is weird but I believe I can add a small amount of tannins given my water chemistry etc etc.

Thanks

jkkgron2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Pfrozen said:
Hi guys, I'm getting a backwater rasbora setup going. Right now I only have 4 rasboras, 1 bamboo and 5 RCS. I have 3 more rasboras arriving Friday. Question is, should I do a centerpiece fish or am I fully stocked? I was considering 1 peacock gudgeon (goby) since they grow to 2 inches. Also, I know shrimp in Blackwater is weird but I believe I can add a small amount of tannins given my water chemistry etc etc.

Thanks
The gudgeon will probably eat the baby shrimp- mine did, I think it’s a hit or miss with them. However, they are very shy and are known to be picky eaters. Most of the time they only accept frozen or live food unless you slowly transition them. I have one and she barely came out besides feeding time Until I got my very outgoing male guppy, and they tend to cram into places that are hard to see or reach.

Edit: now that I have the guppy she’s more outgoing but I still have to search in the tank for 5 minutes every time before I finally spot her/she spots me. Once she sees me she usually comes into a spot where I can see her but it still takes a while.

kanzekatores

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You should be fine to add a goby. Remember for the filter though, only rinse the cartridge; don’t let anyone convince you into replacing it. It gets rid of the bacteria.

OP
P

Pfrozen

Well Known
Reaction score
jkkgron2 said:
The gudgeon will probably eat the baby shrimp- mine did, I think it’s a hit or miss with them. However, they are very shy and are known to be picky eaters. Most of the time they only accept frozen or live food unless you slowly transition them. I have one and she barely came out besides feeding time Until I got my very outgoing male guppy, and they tend to cram into places that are hard to see or reach.
That's good to know, I'll consider all of that for sure, thank you!

OP
P

Pfrozen

Well Known
Reaction score
kanzekatores said:
You should be fine to add a goby. Remember for the filter though, only rinse the cartridge; don’t let anyone convince you into replacing it. It gets rid of the bacteria.
Thanks, yea I can't believe how the industry is set up to trick people into buying products that will crash their cycle and kill their fish. Pretty sad. Luckily I've been pointed in the right direction by other members already :D

Nameer Khan

Reaction score
If you’re willing to risk your red cherry shrimp or if you want to sell them, you could try a honey Gourami? If you do that, you’ll have a SE Asian Biotope with the bamboo shrimp, Rasboras and gourami?

OP
P

Pfrozen

Well Known
Reaction score
Nameer Khan said:
If you’re willing to risk your red cherry shrimp or if you want to sell them, you could try a honey Gourami? If you do that, you’ll have a SE Asian Biotope with the bamboo shrimp, Rasboras and gourami?
Thats an idea too! I'll consider a honey for sure. I don't mind if the shrimp population gets controlled naturally, I don't think either fish will eat adult shrimp anyways

New Threads