Advice needed!

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Furallicah, Apr 21, 2010.

1. FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

Goodbye....

Ok major problem, Quincey has gotten far worse since the other day. He is now laying on the bottom of his tank gasping and hardly moving. All..(and I'm not kidding) of his fins are clamped as tight as can be. And nearly all of his fins are the redish color like from when I first mentioned this a few days ago. I'm not sure what is going on....he's getting worse and worse. Sherlocks fins are (Which are white then red going up towards his body) the white areas are turning the same red coloring as Quinceys and his fins are begining to clamp up in the red areas. I was thinking it could be Hemorrhagic Septicemia but I'm not 100% sure about it....I'll try to get a few pictures of them. Water Perameters are as follows. Ammonia-0, Nitrite-0, Nitrate-10. I just checked yesterday before I did a 10% water change. I cant test again for sever hours due to the Prime. Oh and Quincey is not eatting from what I can see...which is extreamly upsetting....I cant get any garlic into his system to try to help fight it since he isn't eatting. Any suggestions will be very....very helpful...!:;dk :'( :;fru

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  2. FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

4:26pm EST....My Delta Dragon Betta by the name of Quincey took his last breath.....I've lost him to something I have no idea what it is.....I should of acted sooner when I first saw signs of sickness....but I didn't...I hate myself....I've lost my beautful betta boy....and I could possible lost my beloved Sherlock to the same thing....I feel like the world is caving in on me...

100_3374.JPG

100_3388.JPG

R.I.P. My beloved Delta Dragon....I wont forget you...:'(

3. LucyModeratorModerator Member

:( I'm so sorry you lost Quincey.
    Sometimes things happen so fast, there's nothing you can do for them.
    RIP Pretty boy.

4. lyndraValued MemberMember

awwww

:;hug2

You gave him the best life you could, which was more then likely better then he would have gotten in most other situations.

Once you did realise there was something seriously wrong, you tried to find a solution.

We can't know everything, or be prepared for every situation, we aren't perfect and all we can do is try - sometimes that isn't enough but it's all we can do.

5. FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

Thanks Lucy and Lyndra....I'm just so upset now....I just got done cleaning out the enitre tank which Quincey use to share with Sherlock...I cleaned everything in a salt water bath and rinsed it over several times...replaced the filter added some media from my 25gal....put Sherlock back in. I just hope I dont lost him too....idk what I would do if that happened.

6. MeenuFishlore VIPMember

sorry, chris... :(

7. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

What kind of a burial did you do?

8. FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

I clipped off a sample of his dorsal fin (I want to get a close up look at it) and burried him outside 2ft under the ground so nothing would bother him....

Thanks Meenu

9. bettaloulouValued MemberMember

Im so sorry for your loss.:'(

10. bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

Oh, Chris, I'm so sorry for your loss:(

Please don't blame yourself. We can't fix everything with our finned babies. Sometimes things are beyond our control.

We're here for you and I hope Sherlock gets back to his happy self soon.

11. jerilovesfrogsFishlore VIPMember

i'm very sorry to hear that. how long did you had him? :;hug2 i felt very sad when i lost my boy finn, who was in the shark tank at walmart. i tried, but he just couldn't. i cried. so i know how painful it can be. and i'm sure you had quincey a lot longer. hang in there ok. i had my husband dig a grave at my parents at the edge of the woods, among the wildflowers.

12. FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

Thanks BB, bettaloulou, and Jeril.....I had Quincey for 3 months...he was happy and healthy until about a week ago when things started to change...I know it was just 3 months...but Quincey was one of my bettas that cried out to me...it took me three trips to the LFS until I decided to get him...never once thought it was a bad idea...even now...I just wish I could of saved him from something that could of been stopped even though I know maybe I couldn't of...but I could of tried more.

13. uprightandlockedWell Known MemberMember

I'm so sorry to hear of Quincey's passing. I know you are hurting now. But maybe it will help to know he no longer is and doesn't want you to, either. Chin up and best wishes to you and Sherlock.

14. hooxeiiWell Known MemberMember

Furallicah,

Don't blame yourself for what happened. The best fishkeepers in the world occasionally lose a fish. Sometimes there's nothing you can do, and no matter how hard you try, you end up losing one. I've lost my share of bettas, and it's -always- heartbreaking. Losing any animal is tough, but I think bettas become very special to us because they all have such unique stories and personalities.

You gave Quincey a gift more precious than any words can say. You gave him a second chance at life! Were it not for you, he might have died much sooner and not had a chance to experience the high quality of life you gave him. With you, he was happy, healthy, and loved. You will always be the one who cared enough to take him home and love him. You will always be the one who gave him life.

Fish don't blame us for what happens to them; it's not in their nature. Animals don't blame. They live in the moment. No matter what, he never would have blamed you for what happened, and he never would have thought less of you for anything.

I know what it's like to feel helpless when you are trying to save one despite the odds. As a pre-veterinary student, I'm especially upset when I can't relieve an animal's pain. But the truth is that sometimes you just can't win. The important thing isn't that you beat the illness, but that you made the animal's life as good as it could possibly be while he was alive.

Remember too that he's not hurting or sick now. He's at peace, and I'm sure that he knows how much you love him even still. Please know we're all here for you too! Many of us have felt similar losses, and believe me, it's natural to grieve. Let yourself be sad. Don't let anyone make you feel bad for being sad. It's perfectly alright.

That said, I hope Sherlock feels better. My hopes and prayers are with the little guy! Be strong, little detective!

15. FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

Thank you Hooxeii...that really touched me. I know I shouldnt beat myself up over it, and I'm trying to turn that into finding the solution to what ever it is that is wrong with Sherlock. I've came to a conclusion it is either a internal disease known as Red Pest...I think thats right....Or as I stated earlier it could be Hemorrhagic Septicemia....I have several resources and I will find an answer....either way tommrow I'm going to go pick up some Tetracycline, because it treats both of the things I think is wrong. Thanks for all the support everyone. Really....it means alot to me.

16. ShibaValued MemberMember

Quincey was a looker, so sorry for your loss. But hopefully you'll be able to fix Sherlock so he doesn't meet the same fate.
    Luckily, i haven't lost a betta yet, but i cried when my dog died.
    Good luck with Sherlock and think on the bright side, another open spot to save a cup betta and give them a good life.

17. TigerfishyWell Known MemberMember

I already posted in the other post about this, but I want to do it again, as I feel bad for you. There is nothing more you could have done, it can happen to anyone, you know this...
    Chin up, be strong for little Sherlock and beat this situation, you can do it. At the very very least, you're trying, a lot of people wouldn't bother... If you didn't try, you will always wonder "what if". Get the tetracycline, and please keep us updated.

18. FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

I'm home from school and waitting on my sister before heading out to get the medication for Sherlock. But I fount out something that really got onto my last nerve today. There is a house being build behind mine and to the right. They shut off the power today at 11:30am...and I was at school....I have no idea how long the power was off too. But luckly when I got home all of my filters were working correctly and the lights were still on. I just hope I dont have 8 mini cycles on my hands...Thanks Shiba and Tiger

19. cinderellaANew MemberMember

Ugh I hate power outages!!! We get them all the time in my dorm, I have to be carefull.
    R.I.P quincy! He was very handsome :(

20. FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

Thanks. My neighborhood has underground power so the power doesnt go out a lot were off the network from everyone else in the area. So I dont have to worry unless there is a house going up in my neighborhood.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice