Advice needed on helping a stunted discus

Arkodios

I bought a pair of Discus on August 15th of this year. I don’t know how big they were or how old they were at the time, but based on pictures they look to be around 3” in diameter, and they dont look like they have grown much since. I was unaware of their care requirements and after someone pointed out their curiosity as to how I have been keeping Discus in a 75 gallon community tank (they are with Angelfish, a Severum, and Gouramis), I have been researching Discus care to try to better their conditions. I believe they may be stunted; they dont necessarily look football shaped but their eyes look a lot bigger than they should be given their body size. I just upgraded the tank to a 125, but literally the day I moved the fish into the tank I went on vacation. I am back on Monday. I don’t have a picture of the fish, or at least one recent enough to be worth anything. I’ve been feeding the fish just once a day using New Life Spectrum pellets. I’ve since found out this is completely insufficient. I’m planning on moving the Discus to a 37 gallon tank where I am going to try and correct their diet and water quality so I can decide if I will keep them or donate them. I’m curious as to the water maintenance and feeding I should do. I’m currently planning on doing 60% water changes daily/every other day (not 80% daily like I have been reading everywhere since it’s just 2 smaller ones) and want to feed them 4-5 times a day. I’m just not particularly sure as to what I should be feeding them. I want to give them the best diet possible and I am willing to spend a reasonably high amount of money to give them a varied diet. Also, I know their recommended temperature range is 82-86F (27.8-30C), but is there a specific temperature I should aim for?

I guess it really doesnt help to post this with no pictures. Here’s one from September 10th. It has had the black bars since we first saw it, I don’t know if it’s stress bars or something else.

Attachments

• 82ACA043-026B-4B9D-98C7-758B08C64171.jpeg
    82ACA043-026B-4B9D-98C7-758B08C64171.jpeg
    176.8 KB · Views: 16

86 ssinit

This happens a lot. Pet stores just want to move fish. A discus which is much more than a guppie is going to be sold to anyone. Most employees have no idea about discus. Most pet stores either don’t feed there fish or feed them the least possible. Next they buy the smallest cheapest ones from the wholesaler. So most people who buy from pet stores end up just like you.

Doesn’t mean the fish is no good. But growth will probably be minimal. Your new approach will help. Clean water is what they need. The reason for the black bars is it’s letting the other types of fish know they’re in charge. It’s backing down. Many times they are called stress bars. But in your spot they’re submission bars.

You’ve got the correct temp 82-86. Anything in there is good. Shoot for 84. In your pic this fish is already stunted. But not sick. His fins are up and he does look healthy. You can see the eye is bigger than the head. Put up some updated pics when you get home. I have a thread running here to try and help those interested in discus.For Beginner Discus Keepers | Discus Fish Forum | 486447

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
JayAlva
Replies
Views
Disc61
Replies
Views
Thedudeiam94
  • Question