55 Gallon Tank Advice needed on cleaning acrylic

hssea
This is the 55 gal found at garage sale. It used to be a salt water tank. The previous owner put a lot of scratches in it. I'm hoping with it filled with water the interior scratches won't be as noticable. I've been trying to remove the salt scum with acrylic pad and vinegar, but not getting that good results. Should I fill it and let it soak with some vinegar added ??? If vinegar is left in for a while will it hurt the acrylic ??

DSC02202 (800x600).jpg

Musey
HI there.

I live in an area that has high sodium content in our tap water and it leaves the WORST white water spots and buildup on EVERYTHING. For years I have tried every product known to man to get this stuff off my glass shower door, my faucets, the refrigerator water dispenser, and yes, my fish tank glass too!

My tank is glass, not acrylic, but the last time I cleaned out the tank I tried everything... bleach, vinegar, ammonia... you name it. Nothing seemed to make a dent. However, I have read that vinegar will do the trick if you can keep it saturated for a long period of time. I didn't have the patience to wait for hours, so I just rinsed the tank and filled it again.

Try soaking some clean towels in vinegar and laying them on the tank walls for a few hours. You many need to rotate the tank on it's side. And keep adding more vinegar to keep the towels saturated if needed.

Hope this helps and let me know if it works. If so, maybe next time I will try the vinegar soaking.

hssea
Thanks Musey. Since the tank is empty maybe it would be a good time to fill it up with water and add few bottles of vinegar and let it sit for few days.

hssea
Cleaning question

Going to fill up and soak with vinegar the 55 gal tank I bought at a garage sale. It's my last attempt at trying to remove salt deposits from inside acrylic (used to be salt water tank).

Question: how much vinegar think I should add to 55 gal of water??? How many days should I let it soak??

Keeping my fingers crossed that it works

DSC02202 (800x600).jpg

Aquarist
Hello Hssea,

Hopefully you will receive some responses before long. Congrats on the new tank.

Please NOTE: this is an acrylic tank (per OP)

Ken

hssea
Also, I see some acylic scratch remover products on line. Are they safe for using inside the tank before setting it up ???

Aquarist
Merged threads. (Private Message Sent)

Ken

Latest threads

Top Bottom