Advice needed! Guppy fish keep dying...

Fishkeeper20

Hi, I've currently been trying to keep guppies for the past 3 months with them continuously keep dying. I get them from PetSmart Put them in a 13 gallon. quarantine, accumulate and check parameters on both tanks after quarantine. But they continue to keep dying any advice?

ProudPapa

Welcome to the forum. The best advice I can give is to try getting some from a private breeder. They're likely to be healthier, and have fewer genetic problems, than the ones you'd get in a store (unless it's a locally owned store that has locally grown fish; the chains aren't allowed to buy from private breeders).

I have had great difficulty keeping commercially grown guppies alive longer than about 4 weeks, and I've seen multiple other reports here from other fish keepers with the same experiences.

If you can't find any locally you might check out Tropical Fish Breeder | Pwilly's Fish Emporium. Pwilly07 is a member here, and I believe he raises the guppies he sells.

Fishkeeper20

. The best advice I can give is to try getting some from a private breeder. They're likely to be healthier, and have fewer genetic problems, th
Thank you, I will look into it.

JTW

I've also had some trouble with PetSmart guppies. But I did eventually manage to have success. And I do have some tips that might be helpful.

First, I've had the best luck when avoiding the named types of guppy. The tequila sunrise, red tuxedos, ect. I've had the best success with the generic "fancy" guppies.

Second, be very picky about which fish you get. Pick out only the strongest, most active swimmers. If there are any signs of a sick or distressed tank, leave and come back in a few weeks.

Third, have a well seasoned quaruntine tank for them to go into and add aquarium salt. I use 3 table spoons in a 10 gallon. I keep the salt at that level for a couple weeks before gradually ramping it down. I also keep a handful of oak leaves in the tank to provide lots of dense cover for them. Keep the lighting dim, the water clean and disturb them as little as possible.

After a few weeks you're usually in the clear. Good luck.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
David3738
Replies
Views
Texakage
Replies
Views
BlackOsprey
Replies
Views