• Not sure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

lilangelfish716

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi,

Does this look like velvet? I’ve been in the hobby for 8 years and have never had Ich or Velvet before. I moved my angelfish into my new apartment into a new tank (bf if was fully cycled.. I know bad :/) and after the move the orange on their tops was pronounced (see pics). Pics without green water are from a month ago when I first put them in the tank (pics with green water from tonight 2nd day of rally/Kick Ich combo txt).My specific questions and parameters are below after summary.

Note- I have treated the tank with 1 full round of kick Ich (tank is planted so I really do not want to do the copper), however to no avail. Recently started Rally and Kick Ich regime. I’m thinking of treating with rally for 5 days and doing the kick Ich for the intense/severe more frequent regime in combination with the rally. Fish are acting normal, however are aggressive (over crowding) and spawning due to the increase of temperature to 82.

Please keep the following in mind when assessing, this tank is overcrowded because these are angels that I raised from eggs and it’s been hard for me to sell them. I am going to bring some of them to my fish guy but need to get this figured out first. I put a ton of time raising these angels from eggs so I really appreciate your help.

Tank Size- 54 gallon bow front
Tank is planted with substrate
Air sponge filter
13 Angels (freshwater 1st generation of wild caught fish)
2 sydonis petracolas
1 panda garra
1 tiger/emperor type pleco (I think)

Current water parameters (although I just messed with it a little trying to get the ph, ammonia and nitrites down (tank is still cycling) bf I did this my readings are described as below. Also not sure if the green color from the rally impacts below? Reading these with a test kit/vials.

Ph 7.4/7.6
Ammonia ~.25 (btwn 0+and .25)
Nitrite btwn 0+ and .25
Nitrate btwn 5.0 and 10.0 (about an 8.0)
Water temp 82 F
Using stability and prime to stabilize
Using Kent control minus to bring down ph.

My questions-
Does this look like velvet?
With the rally and kick Ich combo how often should I do water change? I’m think of doing a 50% after day 3... I will vacuum gravel but does this have effect on products efficacy?
Do I really need to shut off the light? And for how long?
Any other advice???
ED0E4154-B9B7-4B58-8B1C-D222A1084F49.jpeg
848DEBA6-AEF0-4058-B237-9D6AF1E21E57.jpeg
5D8C74D3-205C-4E35-AF28-DBC4BE1D6618.png
37155E47-A0B2-4D2C-968E-823153EECBE0.png
6E329092-D14A-4FB1-A3E1-07EBBDE8BACD.png
D690522D-AAAC-4510-A3DC-F4740C4375FC.png

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The flashlight test is the best to confirm if its velvet. I'm not sure it would show in pics .

OP
lilangelfish716

lilangelfish716

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
david1978 said:
The flashlight test is the best to confirm if its velvet. I'm not sure it would show in pics .
Thank you! I’ve never heard of the flashlight test. I have read the link you shared before however I will def read it again to learn about the flashlight test.

New Threads