Advice for stunted and deformed rescue fish?

Shannon108

Hey!
Yesterday I came across someone who had put their 5 guppies and 7” pleco up for adoption. I went and got the fish this morning and noticed a couple concerns.
They‘ve had the common pleco (they never specified the type, but now I know he’s a common) for 10 years, but he’s only about 7” long including his tail. His whole life he was in a 55 gallon, it looked well maintained, no algae, not much debris on the bottom, a strong filter, but besides all that the tank is obviously to small for a common pleco. I was expecting a rubber lip or bristle nose when I first got him, but no, he’s a common.
Is there any chance he could recover and get larger? Not to the size he should be, but maybe just a little larger than he is now? Are there any health problems he may have I should know about?

I also have another concern, it’s about the guppies. There are 3 males and 2 females. They all seem quite deformed, they all swim with their nose pointed up and their spine is bent. Does anyone know what could have caused this? More importantly, will this harm them in any way?

I included a pic of one of the guppies, the guppy where the spine is the most noticeably bent and deformed, the pic isn’t super clear, it was hard to get it to focus.

Thanks!

Attachments

• C7B3B8F6-C11F-4D7B-911B-FFD2417DB2F1.jpeg
    C7B3B8F6-C11F-4D7B-911B-FFD2417DB2F1.jpeg
    83.7 KB · Views: 32

A201

The Guppies problem is likely due to inbreeding. If the Pleco's body is normally proportioned, then either he's just an undersized runt, younger than originally thought, or not a common Pleco.

Upvote 0

Shannon108

Thanks for the reply!
Could he not be stunted? They are normally supposed to be much larger, which makes me think he’s not just a runt, but rather stunted (assuming he’s is the age they said he is)?

Upvote 0

A201

When a fish is stunted, the body often becomes disproportional or stumpy looking.
Chances are the Pleco isn't quite as old as was reported to you. Given ample room & a quality diet he might reach his full growth potential.

Upvote 0

Shannon108

Wow alright, thank you!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
NotSarah
Replies
Views
Lchi87
Replies