Advice for stressed guppy

Scanlon

HI everyone,

I had 4 guppies and unfortunatly last week I found one dead in the filter. He was a bit smaller than the others and from what people have said on here he was bullied by the three other guppies. My problem is now one of the three remaning guppies has lost a bit of colour and his tail is a bit ragged. He is hanging around the same spot at the top of the tank, the other two come up and bother him but he chases them away, he does feed but I'm worried about the little fella. What should I do?

I don't know if this has any bearing on things but the two that do the bullying have a redstripe running across their backs where as the other two doesn't/didn't. One if the two stripped one has a longer stripe across his body and is very fiesty, he wil nip me when I clean the tank. Do you think he will turn on the lesser striped one eventualy?

Sorry for the long post tried to give as much info as possible.

Thanks
Paul

Meenu

Your aquarium information says you have a small amount of nitrite. If this is still the case, your fish could be stressed from living in a cycling tank.

If all of these guppies are male, then bullying sometimes happens. I had 3 males and some bullying issues.

Scanlon

My nitrite level is now zero and has been for a few weeks, I will update my stats

jerilovesfrogs

I had four male guppies, and there was bullying going on. I noticed some tail issues too. I ended up exchanging them for something else. haha. so do you have males...or some females too?

Scanlon

They are/were all males the LFS guy said getting females might lead to aggresion!!!

The bullied one is still hanging around the same part of the tank but the others seem to have left jI'm alone for now! He is still not very active he's just Reading water. I will feed them soon and see if he eats then.

Meenu

females lead to a zillion fry. males fight each other. good luck.

jerilovesfrogs

Meenu said:
yup, that pretty much sums it up! I never saw any fighting when I was looking....but there had to be since the tails were nipped and lfs guy said their slime coat was stressed. I think you're doing all you can do really. their natural instincts are stronger than anything you could do to try to stop it.

midthought

Scanlon said:
They are/were all males the LFS guy said getting females might lead to aggresion!!!

The bullied one is still hanging around the same part of the tank but the others seem to have left jI'm alone for now! He is still not very active he's just Reading water. I will feed them soon and see if he eats then.
Meenu said:
Such is true.

Scanlan, I think you could clear up a lot of the bulling with adding females, but then you'd need to have a plan for the fry -- at least the ones that grow to adolescence eventually and start to overcrowd your tank. Also, you would want to add about 2-3 females for each male you have just to keep the females from being the ones bullied to death.

I'm not trying to wag my finger at all here as we have *all* made this mistake, but I just hope you realize the importance of getting your research done before going to the LFS (or bring a phone with internet to the store!). The employees (no matter how well meaning) sometimes just don't have the expertise, and they have little incentive to warn you off of whatever idea you came into the store with.

Meenu

I wouldn't get females (I do not relish the thought of a bunch of fry). I would add more decor or rearrange the tank to try to break up territories and give escape routes. Mine worked out their problems and coexisted fine after a couple of weeks. Your tank is big enough that they may be able to do the same.

Scanlon

I suppose it's a problem of all life,

males + males = fighting
males + females = babies

I've just feed him and he ate and saw off a couple of tetras.

Hope this is a good sign

jerilovesfrogs

ohhh I guess ididn't know you had tetras in there too. hmm, they could be nippy, seeing that the guppies have fins that are pretty and longish. they could be picking on them too.

Scanlon

I haven't watched the tank 24/7 but as far as I can tell they don't seem to be intrested in each other. It does just seem to be the other guppies.

Also there lots of hiding spots and is quite heavily planted so he can get away if he chosses, he just stays at the top in the open.

Scanlon

When I checked my guppy thus morning he was actually swimming round and seemed quite happy. Unfortunatly by the time I finished breakfast he was dead on the bottom.

The ring leader now seems to be picking on the remaining guppy, I don't want the same fate for the other guppy and I have visions of the nasty one picking off my other fish one-by-one..

I don't have another tank so would it be advisable to take them to the LFS?

Cheers
Paul

midthought

Sorry you lost another one. I would say yes, take them back to the LFS if you can't rehome them or give them females to distract them. At least the bully,

konstargirl

You could have only 1 male to several females or just have a tank with all female since they aren't as aggressive as males, but be aware of babies. I wuold go with Meenu's advice though and try to get a divider to seperatethe remaining males( At least that's what I did once, but I have platies and they act similar to yours) What tank size is this though?

Sorry about your lost of your guppy. I bet he was pretty.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom