Advice For Shipping Fish

Fizzfrog
I am looking to rehome an 8 inch common pleco and a 3.5 inch female OB peacock cichlid because their current tank is too small for them (dad got them both a few years ago for a 55 gallon and we have other fish in there as well). I know someone who's interested in taking them, but I'd have to ship them (from Princeton NJ to Philadelphia PA) to get the fish to him since I doubt my parents would be willing to drive that far over a fish and I won't be home to drive them myself until the semester ends in two months.

What will I need to do to prepare the fish for shipping? What materials will I need (e.g. what kind of cardboard box, what kind of bag, insulation/heating, padding, etc.)? What company should I use to ship them, and is there a particular day that's better to send them out (e.g. if the company doesn't ship over the weekend)? How much water should I put in the bag? About how much can I expect it to cost?

I don't have any experience with shipping fish, so any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sage Exotics
Get the biggest bags you can, I’d fill them halfway with water and se if you can get your LFS to fill the bag with oxygen for you, you will need heat pads depending on your weather (if it drops below 70 degrees then you’ll need them), as for insulation usually I see a bigger, more durable bag around the smaller ones and then placed in hard foam. Get a strong box that’s just big enough to put the bag in so they don’t bump around, I don’t know which company would be the best nor what day you should ship, I’d look around and talk to companies and see which one can ship them the fastest. Use a lot of “LIVESTOCK”, “FRAGILE”, and “THIS WAY UP” stickers. This is just what I’ve seen and heard, I don’t speak from experience, but I believe this should be the best way to do it. Good luck!

goldface
Maybe something like this.
1DA6F279-4486-4D8F-9A87-352E2D0F5625.jpeg This was overnight Fedex.

I’ve never shipped fish personally, but maybe overnight is overkill from NJ to PA.

Also, I was surprised to find no insulation or styrofoam whatsoever. Just a bag of fish, a receipt, and a business card. But this was overnight, so maybe having styrofoam isn’t such a big deal and the fish were fine.

Fizzfrog
This is all really helpful, thank you both so much!

Edit: Sage Exotics my LFS is over a one hour drive away and I can't imagine my parents would be willing to drive that far over just a fish. Do you think they'd be okay with just regular atmospheric air in the bag?

75g Discus Tank
I've heard stories of shipping companies purposefully tossing around boxes marked "LIVE ANIMALS".

I'm not sure why, but almost every online store that I consider buying from says that they will be shipped in unmarked boxes for that reason.

hjack9090
I've heard stories of shipping companies purposefully tossing around boxes marked "LIVE ANIMALS".

I'm not sure why, but almost every online store that I consider buying from says that they will be shipped in unmarked boxes for that reason.

Could you find me the link for this article? I'd like to give it a read

75g Discus Tank
Could you find me the link for this article? I'd like to give it a read
I have a source, but it's from another forum so it's against the rules to send a link.

hjack9090
I have a source, but it's from another forum so it's against the rules to send a link.

Could you send me some key word I could look up the find it?

75g Discus Tank
I'll PM you the link.

goldface
I don’t believe it is against the rules as long as you’re not suggesting members here to join the other site.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views
Marlene327
Replies
Views
coralbandit
Replies