Advice For Setting Up First Shrimp Tank Question

1. C

CPARKTX Member Member

I have enjoyed the handful of shrimp in my two aquariums so much that I want to setup a small tank just for shrimp. Any advice on how to get started? I was thinking of a 5-gallon tank with some java moss and cholla wood.

1. Can I mix species?
    2. How many shrimp do you need to start a small breeding operation? (for fun, not profit)
    3. Do I need any special water treatment other than having a cycled tank?
    4. Any other tips or advice?
    5. I will probably just have shrimp in the tank, but are there any other fish that don't eat baby shrimp that would be compatible?

Thank you!

2. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Hello! Congratulations on your new tank :)

Yes, you can mix species, but many people don't. The reason is that once they breed, the offspring will be a brown or gray color.
    You don't need anything special if your water has a proper GH and KH, otherwise, you'll be fine.
    I would acclimate them very well, and drip acclimating is also necessary. Keep the parameters steady.

You could try other fish, but I wouldn't suggest much as a five gallon isn't too spacious.
    Bettas won't be a good choice if you are doing a colony of shrimp.

3. SegiDream

SegiDream Well Known Member Member

1) Yes you could but it may not work out well as some can crossbreed and some have different needs IE hard vs soft water. I recommend reviewing this chart and checking the parameter requirements before mixing. https://www.theshrimpfarm.com/skin/frontend/default/MAG050059/images/compatibility-chart.jpg
    2) People say 5-6 but I personally would recommend 10 in case of any die offs in the beginning.
    3) Have the tank cycled and let it age a little. I do small water changes every 2 weeks or so.
    4) Don't use a heater, room temp should suffice. Sponge filters are recommended. Use a food tray cause you probably won't want to gravel vac when there are babies around. I feed them very little and skip a couple days between feedings. IME shrimp need a place to hide, the cholla wood might be enough if there is a hole in the middle or some other cave or something. If you don't have a test kit for GH and KH yet then go ahead and get one, about $8 on amazon right now.
    5) No, none that fit in a 5g. People say otocinclus are the only ones that won't bother shrimplets but they need a school and plenty of room, so a 5g is not suitable. Chili rasboras and CPD are somewhat shrimp friendly, they'll probably snack on shrimplets but if you are really set on fish these are the two I would recommend AFTER letting the shrimp colony get established and growing with the 2nd and 3rd generations having babies and doing well.

4. Dakotablue

Dakotablue Member Member

It's mostly all been said above, but a few things to add. Having a snail that likes to burrow in the substrate can help if you aren't doing a gravel vac because of the shrimplets. If you have a good amount of moss and some wood you won't need to feed them much after the tank is well established and you aren't trying to have a massive colony. You can always just drop some blanched veggies in for a few hours then remove -- helps with keeping the tank clean.

Good luck with the new tank!

5. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

1. You can mix species without risk, just not color variants. Different species do not interbreed with the exception of some caridinas.

2. 10 is a good number

3. A GH of around 5-6 is ideal, lower and you risk molting issues

4. Plant heavily, because shrimp cannot sustain a cycle on their own in the beginning. Plants offer grazing areas and increase shrimplet survival rates

5. None that won't want to :)

6. Goldie&Yami

Goldie&Yami Member Member

I'm looking into doing this exact thing with a 5 gallon. When you say "age" what exactly does this mean?

7. OP
    OP
    C

CPARKTX Member Member

"Age" means let the tank settle in as some time passes...the tank will be fully cycled, there will be various micro organisms that develop colonies, the plants will start growing, etc.

8. Goldie&Yami

Goldie&Yami Member Member

So about a few months?

9. Buganjimo

Buganjimo Well Known Member Member

Yes