Advice For Replacing Substrate In Established Tank? Question

1. C

CPARKTX Valued Member Member

I have an established (1 year) tank, and hate the Eco Complete substrate and would like to replace it with the type of small smooth gravel I have in another tank.

This is my plan...any advice?

Turn off filters
    Remove 60% of water
    Remove plants (leave fish)
    Scrape up old substrate
    Add new substrate
    Refill water
    Turn filters back on

Suggestions?

2. Fshloover

Fshloover Valued Member Member

What I did with a 29 was turn off all filters and heaters drain it about 60 it 70% and kept some of the old water in buckets. Then I took out some of the big sensitive fish and scooped out the old sub straight with my hands and some scooper things I found in my fish cabinet. Then added the new substraigt cupfulls at a time and filled up the tank and let the filters run for a little bit that put the other fish back in.

3. Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

I would:

>fill buckets or plastic totes with the tank's water, enough for 50% of the water
    >place fish and filtration in one of the buckets or totes
    >take out all plants and keep them in separate container of water to prevent drying out
    >drain tank, keep spray bottle of treated water handy to mist inner walls of the tank when needed
    >remove all old substrate
    >fill tank partially full, then drain to remove sediment left over
    >add in new substrate (1.5in deep is ideal for plants)
    >fill tank part-way with treated water and replant it, giving time for any sediment to settle
    >add old water and fish back to tank if temps are similar to containers (it would be like doing a 50% change on the tank)
    >place filtration back on tank

4. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

Remove the fish if you can itll make your live easier.

Also after you remove the substrate leave your tank for 15min so any crud thats kicked up into the water will settle on the bottom where you can suck it up before you add the new substrate.

Also its easier to plant your tank before you refill it.