Advice For Ordering Fish Online?

1. BettaFishKeeper4302

BettaFishKeeper4302 Well Known Member Member

So i am going to have to order a fish online. Not sure what website or anything. I am a little bit excited as i have never done this before. I am ordering either a clown or vampire pleco. Advice is much appreciated.

2. penguin02

penguin02 Well Known Member Member

I've only ever order from Aquatic Arts, but lots of other places get good reviews, like Liveaquaria and Trinsfish.

3. Lacey D

Lacey D Well Known Member Member

Check out their reputation.
    Make sure they have a guarantee that they will arrive alive.
    Try to order relatively local, and place your order on a Sunday or Monday for quickest/safest delivery (and the better places refuse to ship late in the week or over the weekend.)
    Check their customer service by asking for details about their water parameters so you can protect the fish from shock. You can also ask if they're shipping them medicated or sedated, so you're prepared for that.
    If you can, have them delivered and held at the shipper's (USPS, etc) facility and arrange to pick them up, so they're not riding around all day on a truck, being jostled and bumped.
    Have everything set up at home BEFORE they arrive, so that you can get them out of the box and acclimating ASAP.
    And also take a photo/video of them in the bag. If they're alive and healthy and settle in well, post a good review of your own :) If they arrive unhealthy or dead, you will need a photo of them IN THE BAG to claim your refund. I like to wait to see how customer service goes before I post a negative review.
    Hope this helps!

4. M

MWR Valued Member Member

Ordering a single fish may not be the best plan depending on shipping cost. Some vendors offer free shipping with a minimum order amount, but the cost of the fish is fairly high to help cover their shipping cost. Some charge a "Box Fee" and additional fees for Heat/Chill packs. Familiarize yourself with the vendors live arrival guarantee (LAG), many will only cover loss on Overnight Express. The LAG may be voided if the bag is opened, if the fish is not received on the first delivery attempt, if the vendor is not notified within a certain amount of time, etc... All these requirements are reasonable and are there to protect the vendor - he does not know you or your knowledge level of keeping fish. I usually have the package "Hold for pick-up" to avoid the fish riding around in a hot delivery vehicle, I am at the end of the route for USPS, UPS, and FEDEX. Have the package shipped on a Monday or Tuesday - this will give you time if the package gets lost, you do not want it to sit around over the weekend. Many vendors will not refund the cost of a fish that arrived dead - they will give you credit on your next order or reship another fish after you pay for. I have never had a vendor offer to refund shipping cost for dead arrival of fish since they have no control over the delivery (of course, free shipping does not apply). Make sure the vendor provides you a tracking number for the shipment so you can keep up with travel of your package (if it was shipped USPS, you are going to be . Those clowns usually enter it in the system when it left it's original location and nothing else happens until it arrives at your Sorting Center.) After receiving your new fish, let the vendor know. He also will be wondering how things went and will want to know that you are happy with your purchase.