Advice for my 90 gallon

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by terrynachos, Aug 9, 2014.

1. terrynachos

terrynachos Valued Member Member

I am wondering about ideas for my 90 gallon tank coming soon. I was wanting to do african cichlids but i dont like the overcrowded look that lots do to keep aggression down. I do like the venustus cichlid and would like to see a male and female breed and have only them in there but i feel that would be such a waste of tank. Also really like the looks of the green terror and red devil cichlid and would be interested in doing the tank that way. I guess my question is more aimed towards larger cichlids and what would be a good number to keep if it was red devils and green terrors and also what other species could go with them if they could go together at all??
    Thanks for any advice

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Also i could go to arrowana or a gar tank its an option too!! :)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2014
  2. Rivieraneo

Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

terrynachos, i would not do a arowana in a 90 gallon tank as its foot print is only 4 foot in length. Even the smaller sized arowanas grow large length wise and need swimming room. Also, when going with larger fish, please consider that you are dedicating a large tank to one or only a few fish, some hobbyist eventually loose interest and want more fish in their tanks. Lastly, big fish eat a lot of food :) so your food budget needs to be healthy for both your and your fish :) I highly recommend NLS Extra LG 10mm pellets for larger fish. Best of luck.

3. OP
    OP
    terrynachos

Ok thank you! I will pass on the arrowana for this set up.
    Larger fish and larger food budget i get it. I am really thinking i will go with green terrors and red devils. But now how many should i do? What other species can or should i mix with them? Should i only do one or two of these species alone or can i mix them? If i want them to breed then should they just go solo with eachother? I am not too concerned about feeding budget and so on. I am no high roller here lol ;) but i do take my hobbies very serious and would not get into anything i couldnt maintain due to cost or things like that. Thanks again! Hope to hear some ideas as i am starting to lean towards green terrors and red devils i just find there colour so amazing and they do seem to grow large. The only other option at this point might be the african venustus cichlid as they have really caught my eye as well.

4. Rivieraneo

Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

I agree, both beautiful fish, but im not the best at stocking cichlids, maybe LeoDiaz or Thai Aquarium owner can help you in this respect. Also, cichilds are messy fish, in my flowerhorn tank I have 3 large filters for one fish :)

5. T

Thai Aquarium owner Well Known Member Member

OP,
    At the moment, you seem very undecided on your tank options.
    As with all tank set ups and stocking, a clearly defined approach to the subject is of paramount importance, as is good research, or you will be heading for a train crash.
    I can tell you at this stage, the Venustus ( Nimbochromis Venustus ) is a species that potentially grow to 10 " ( 40 CM ) and is Piscavorious.
    Your 90 Gallon tank is way too small for even a pair of this species IMO
    The Arrowana, is a very large fish that can potentially grow to the length of the 4 ft tank, depending on the actual species, and is a live food feeder.
    Red Devil, a clue for you, is in the name - very aggressive
    I have never mixed the Red Devil with the Green Terror ( again a clue is in the name ), but my gut instinct would be for a definite no-no.
    My suggestion to you at this stage is to do a load of research on anything you want to stock into the tank.
    Riv has already pointed out the most common mistake people make when stocking a tank with a single specimen.
    The fish get very boring to most people after only a short period of time, as nothing is happening in the tank for long periods of time.

6. OP
    OP
    terrynachos

Your right and i will take my time with this tank and continue my research! Thanks for the advice. :)

7. Marie1

Marie1 Well Known Member Member

You can keep a red devil and a green terror in the same tank, but not if it is only 4' long. If you were to get a 5' 120 gallon, or even better, a 6' 125 gallon, it would give you more options. I'm still not sure if you could get away with a red devil and other cichlids, but you could definitely do a green terror with other cichlids.

90 gallons are basically a 75 gallon tall. The 48"x 18" foot print is very good for wet pets. Meaning, a single larger cichlid and nothing else. So a single red devil would work in it.

A 90 would work with a green terror, and another medium size cichlid of similar temperament. Jack Dempsey, convict, firemouth, things like those. The Jack would be a bit bigger, but it may work.

You could also do just a single cichlid with some bichirs. Senegals will work in a 90. Very active and entertaining.

8. OP
    OP
    terrynachos

Thanks i did not know that about the 90 and the 75. I will rethink my tank purchase and maybe look for a 120 or125 gallon. I have decided on the green terror Marie1 would you ever recomend more then one of this species in a tank? I house 2 convicts 3 firemouths and 1 salvini in my 75 and it seems like a happy tank

9. Marie1

Marie1 Well Known Member Member

It would depend on the size of tank. But you can. Just curious, how long has your 75 been set up?

10. OP
    OP
    terrynachos

A few months now. And after thinking long and hard i think i will wait for a while before i start a new set up but i do think i will be doing green terrors when i do but prolly get a much larger tank 125 gallon or somethin like that!

11. goldenguppy

goldenguppy New Member Member

Another thing you could put in there would be a bamboo shrimp, they typically grow to about 4 inches and are indeed harmless. I don't think the Green Terror or the other fish in your tank will bother it, but as you said my best recommendation would be to continue to do research and head to your local fish-seller to ask for some advice face-to-face.
    Good luck!

Ask me some questions, I will do my best to answer them as well as I can!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice