Advice For Leaving Tank For Over 2 Weeks

1. AlliFish21

AlliFish21 New Member Member

I'm leaving for a 2 and a half week holiday in a couple days and I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on tank prep before leaving,?
    I have my housemates here to feed once a day and add stability but I'm not sure if theres anything else I should be aware of.

2. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

You need to make it clear that under no circumstances should they feed extra just because, that’s just going to ruin the water quality if the keeper goes overboard.

3. matt 63

matt 63 Valued Member Member

I think you should be fine, but if your tank is not cycled yet, I would make sure they stay on top of water changes to keep the levels down, cause alot can go wrong during that time period

4. appcontrol

appcontrol Valued Member Member

Yep water change is number one priority at least 30% per week. Food is better to tell them to give small amount, fish can live 2 weeks without food so low feeding is better than over feeding. Good luck

5. TexasGuppy

TexasGuppy Well Known Member Member

If the tank is already cycled, you don't really need to add stability. You can separate each feeding into plastic snack bags if you think they may overfeed. I'd do a 50% water change right before you leave so they won't have to mess with it.

6. shutterbug13

shutterbug13 Well Known Member Member

I recommend buying pillboxes to divide up the fish food to make sure that your housemates don't overfeed and hide the rest of your fish food. Ziploc bags would work too.
    Since you won't be there to do water changes, it will probably be best if they only feed your fish every two or three days so the water quality doesn't get too bad. Do a big water change the day (or the day before) you leave and another one when you get back.

7. Lunnietic

Lunnietic Well Known Member Member

I second the pill boxes/plastic bags.

Is there a reason why you are adding stability?