Advice for adding another ram

Megaanemp

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello all,

I have a Bolivian ram in a 20 long with some zebra danios.
In another tank I am currently raising Bolivian ram fry from my pair in my 75 gallon, they are now about 1 cm long.
I would like to keep one of these fry as their the first ones I’ve ever raised, the rest will be sold to the fish store.
If I remove my ram from the 20 long Put her in a bucket, rescape the tank, then add her back in with the additional ram (once he’s a bit bigger),
will this give me a good chance of preventint agression and successfully you adding another ram?

Feohw

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yes, that is generally the best way to go about it. Though this doesn't always work out in the end. Right now that ram sees the whole tank as its territory, so mixing things up right before the introduction of the second ram is the way to go. Making sure that the decor is set up in a way that will allow the rams to claim territories at opposite sides of the tank with some decor to block their line of sight from one another is important too.

Then it's all about keeping an eye on them. There is always going to be some degree of aggression, but as long as it doesn't get too bad, there is no damage done and the rams aren't overly stressed, all is good. If this is the female with a history of aggression, then it's riskier than with many other rams.

OP
Megaanemp

Megaanemp

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Feohw said:
Yes, that is generally the best way to go about it. Though this doesn't always work out in the end. Right now that ram sees the whole tank as its territory, so mixing things up right before the introduction of the second ram is the way to go. Making sure that the decor is set up in a way that will allow the rams to claim territories at opposite sides of the tank with some decor to block their line of sight from one another is important too.

Then it's all about keeping an eye on them. There is always going to be some degree of aggression, but as long as it doesn't get too bad, there is no damage done and the rams aren't overly stressed, all is good. If this is the female with a history of aggression, then it's riskier than with many other rams.
Thank for the help :). I think I’ll give it a try, I do feel the aggression was mostly because she was n the main tank with two mated pairs. But I’ll wait until I have a couple days off and observe very closely! Also she was completely peaceful with everyone for the first couple weeks but got aggressive only once the others paired off. If it doesn’t work out though I will be trading all the young ones to the fish store

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom