10 Gallon Tank Advice for a novice?

Loafie

Hello! I apologize if this is not the correct thread, but it touches on a few topics, so I thought this may be my best bet. I'll just start with my setup and what has led me here:
Some months ago, we got a 10 Gallon tank which we decided to use instead of our longtime 3.5 gallon. We had 2 snails (mystery and nerite) as well as 2 guppies.
Us not understanding the nitrogen cycle pretty quickly transferred them in the new 10 gallon tank, and within about two weeks our little family had all passed. I did some research to understand why this had happened, and tested the water quality. It wasn't cycled yet, not surprisingly.
Nervous that something may have been in the previous water nevertheless (as one of our guppies had dropsy in the 3.5. gallon tank), we decided to start fresh and get the 10 gal fully cycled.
Some number of weeks later, we triple checked to make sure the quality was stable and introduced three African Dwarf Frogs into the tank. They seemed very explorative and happy for the first few days, but we quickly realised that they would not find their own food. They refused to eat whatsoever. I would wait for about 20-30 minutes before removing the uneaten food each meal. We bought long forceps and began "hand" feeding them. While sometimes they would take some bites before becoming uninterested, others would refuse to eat whatsoever. After trying our darnest to keep all of them fed, our most skinny frog passed away. About a week later, another was found passed "hugging" one of our fake plants.
We have one left, but here's the kicker. Awhile back we got a live plant for the tank (which I can't for the life of me remember the name of), and on it hitchhiked two baby snails. They got a bit bigger quite fast and now a clutch of eggs are attached to the glass. I'm pretty sure they are bladder snails, which I understand are a pest, but luckily we are quite fond of snails, so we're actually a bit excited. I'm wondering, though, if letting this clutch mature will harm our remaining frog, require any extra equipment or become an issue in our mostly empty tank. I've attached images of the snails, the clutch, and the tank itself. Maybe someone can also help me figure out what kind of snails these are?

I truly apologize for how lengthy this is. This is my first actual post besides my welcome post, so I'd appreciate yall letting me know if I've put it in the wrong location!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210913-222435_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210913-222435_Gallery.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 20210913_220517.jpg
    20210913_220517.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 20210913_225849.jpg
    20210913_225849.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 8

John58ford

Those do look like tadpole snails, one of the small types of bladder snail. I do not find them a pest. In most cases small snails are beneficial to the habitat. Small frogs or fish eat small food, snails eat the smaller crumbs and clean glass, nooks and crannies you would otherwise need to use a toothbrush for. Less time with the fish keeper elbow deep, happier environment with less bio security and contamination concern.

As long as you don't start target feeding them or over feeding your frog, they should not grow in numbers above an initial population boom. If they start to die off as the work they do is done, they are small enough they don't usually cause much nitrate spike. The empty shells will slowly dissolve into the sand in a soft water environment.

Loafie

Thank you so much for the info! This process is exciting to me, so I hope to keep updates on my tank as the snails mature!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ForArtur
Replies
Views
MySquishy
Replies
Views
Jessmajik
Replies
Views