Advice for a new fish owner - Page 2

Dave125g

Thanks. The manager said if I can keep.hI'm alive until the end of October then he'll let me get a large tank. Then I'll move him into the big one. I'm thinking once that happens I'll get something else for the smaller tank. Maybe a beta?
And then I'll need help deciding what else to put in the large tank with the black moor. One thing at a time though!
That's awesome if you get a 30 gallon or more you could go with a couple of moors.

Al913

A 10 gallon is too small. The 20 gallon is the minimum. Here is the stocking:

20 gallon=1
29 gallon=1
40 breeder=2
55 gallon-4

Dave125g

A 10 gallon is too small. The 20 gallon is the minimum. Here is the stocking:

20 gallon=1
29 gallon=2
40 breeder=3
55 gallon-5
Your talking about what?

skappel

That's awesome if you get a 30 gallon or more you could go with a couple of moors.
That would be great, they're my favorite! I just can't resist those bubbly eyes haha!
Last time we had a fish tank at work it was about 50 gal I think, so I'm sure we'll get one at least that big.

Al913

Your talking about what?
Black moor goldfish

That would be great, they're my favorite! I just can't resist those bubbly eyes haha!
Last time we had a fish tank at work it was about 50 gal I think, so I'm sure we'll get one at least that big.
If you do get a 50 gallon you can have 4 black moors.

el337

Personally, 5 fancy goldfish is too much for a 50g. The general consensus among the goldfish keepers here on the forum seem to be 30/40 gal just for one fancy and 10 gal for each additional. The most I would have in a 50 gallon would be 3.

Al913

Personally, 5 fancy goldfish is too much for a 50g. The general consensus among the goldfish keepers here on the forum seem to be 30/40 gal just for one fancy and 10 gal for each additional. The most I would have in a 50 gallon would be 3.
Yeah I was thinking that but wasn't sure if others would support this. When it comes to goldfish for me I like them to have a lot of room. Many people are fooled by their small size when they first by them. But yeah I agree!

Peacefantasy

Not all bettas eat shrimp. Not all bettas attack snails.

Al913

The best way to test this is to try with ghost shrimps. Ghost shrimps cost 20-50 cents a piece. If your betta eat them don't get RCS. If your betta try to eat them don't get RCS. The thing with ghost shrimps is the fact they are seen as regular size shrimp while RCS along with the neocardina genus are nano shrimps.

oldbean

Thanks. The manager said if I can keep.hI'm alive until the end of October then he'll let me get a large tank. Then I'll move him into the big one. I'm thinking once that happens I'll get something else for the smaller tank. Maybe a beta?
And then I'll need help deciding what else to put in the large tank with the black moor. One thing at a time though!

Depending on the size of the other tank, you might want to just keep him in there alone. Feeding good quality food helps to cut down on the amount moors poop so I recommend getting him really good food and not the flakes pet stores sell as they're full of rubbish and he'll be popping them out like there's no tomorrow.

Tetra do sinking pellets especially for fancy goldfish and they're very good quality.

Bbarb27

Bettas will eat cherry shrimps!
I was suggesting a betta OR shrimp, but not both

I personally think bettas do best housed alone, as they are predators and can hassle even snails. Others have had success with tank mates but I think it is risky

Drakenstein78

Hi all.

This is my first post so I hope I'm in the right place.
I have a 20 gallon tank with 1 silver Molly, 3 Orange mollies, 2 Mickey Mouse platties & 4 black tuxedo platties.
All the fish are male for now & none of the fish are larger than 1.5 inches as yet. I've had the 4 tuxedo platties for 4 months & the rest for 7 weeks after cycling the tank with the help of an aquarium / fish shop before any fish were added. I cycled for 5 weeks and got the shop to test the water until it was right. This is my first attempt and although I did lots of research before I'm now finding I should have done even more.
I've got gravel substrate, plastic plants and a good amount of ornaments and hiding places. I have a small tetra filter running and have now added a Aqua 1 100 - 200 litre filter on the lowest setting and it's in with the tetra filter and will be for another 3 weeks before I remove the tetra filter. I have a small airstone which I added a valve to so I can change the flow rate & I have a heater which is at 75 degrees for most of the time. At night it goes upto about 78 even though the house is cooler which is a bit strange. I feed the fish flakes recommended by the shop along with some type of protein blocks which the shop said will help if the fish have constipation & now and again I give them peas & courgettes blanched and remove the skin from the peas.
I do 50% water changes weekly and clean the ornaments monthly in the tank water I remove after a water change with a cloth only used for the fish tank.
I use a chlorinater after every water change and I test the water with the strips (Planning on getting a master kitchen I get paid in a week) I use a Nitrite test in the glass tube.
I have also bought a 55 gallon tank not up and running yet incase I want more fish or need to move these fish to a bigger aquarium. The tank has everything with it & sufficient for the size.

The first incident happened today where I came in to feed them and noticed 1 orange Molly swimming in circles and completely irratic, so much so it missed feeding. I researched this on Google and I think it was a seizure but not sure. The water quality seems to be fine but the lights have been on and off at random times and as I work my son forgets to turn them off on occasions so they can sometimes be on for upto 12 hours. (I usually have them on no longer than 8 hours). I sometimes wonder if the initial switching on of the light can startle them?
The Molly seems fine now and I turned the lights off straight away when I saw this.

My biggest issue so far is feeding as I've no idea how much or how little I should feed them. I feed twice a day but sometimes just once as I'm unsure how much is correct. I give enough each time that they finish within a minute without seeing any or very little sink to the bottom.

So basically does anybody have any idea what happened to the Molly and what can I do to make sure this doesn't happen again or reduce it happening?

I'm also from the UK so any advice on the best food and medicinal products would be appreciated. I'm new to fish keeping but want to do it successfully with healthy fish as much as possible.
I've even been thinking of packing it in already as I don't think I'm experienced enough & as I already have the fish I sort of feel out of my depth.

Any advice on anyway would be appreciated & I've come here because there's so much contradictory information on the internet.

Thanks in advance.

Thunder_o_b

Welcome to Fishlore.

As for feeding, over feeding is one of the big problems fish keepers face. Fish are cold blooded and need far less food than one might think. You can feed every other day if you wish. Feed what the fish will eat in 5 min.

This is not a hard and fast rule but is a good place to start.

Drakenstein78

Thanks.

I think I'll start feeding them every other day then.

I've been told the tank could be overstocked too, would you agree it's overstocked. I know it will be if they grow bigger but 10 fish between 1 & 1.5inch in a 20 gallon I thought would be okay.
I was aware of them growing hence upgrading well before this happens.

Thanks again for the advice on feeding.

LowConductivity

I’d generally agree with ^^^^….with the exception of mollies. Mollies have oddly short digestive tracts, which makes them pretty inefficient processors of food. Being so inefficient at processing food makes feeding them more often, more important, as they just don’t get as much out of the food.

otterblue

You could buy a cheap timer for the light (about $4 in the U.S.). It would still have the effect of the lights going on instantly, which isn't ideal, but you could set it so that the hours are exactly what you want and you don't have to worry about your son forgetting.

Leeman75

Hello and welcome to Fishlore!

Please, please, please, do not pack it in!! Reading through your description, you're doing many, many things right!! You have researched and are taking care of your fish well from what you describe. Sometimes fish have an episode or get ill. They sometimes die. The best we can do is to provide them with the greatest care that we can and you seem to be definitely doing that!!

I don't think that you're overstocked right now. As the Mollies in particular get older and bigger, that may end up being the case. I don't think the way that you describe your feeding is out of line either.

I wholly agree about getting a timer for the lights. There are also some LED options that are not terribly expensive and have a timer along with sunrise and sunset options that cause the lights to come on and go off graduallly. Hygger makes some nice ones, so do Nicrew.

Hang in there. If your fish is fine now, just monitor it and keep doing what you're doing. If you see more symptoms, maybe add on to this post and I'm sure that you'll be able to get some help!

By the way, we love pictures on the site! Would love to see a pic of your tank!! :)

jmaldo

Agree, your doing fine, far better than most "Newbies".

Of course from time to time we all have had issues with our "Wet" pets. As mentioned continue your feeding and water change regime. I normally feed mine once a day and do have a fasting day once a week.

Good Luck!

Let's see some pics...

Drakenstein78

I’d generally agree with ^^^^….with the exception of mollies. Mollies have oddly short digestive tracts, which makes them pretty inefficient processors of food. Being so inefficient at processing food makes feeding them more often, more important, as they just don’t get as much out of the food.
Thanks. This is interesting, I never knew that about Mollies.
You could buy a cheap timer for the light (about $4 in the U.S.). It would still have the effect of the lights going on instantly, which isn't ideal, but you could set it so that the hours are exactly what you want and you don't have to worry about your son forgetting.
Good idea & I'm presuming there's soft lights that slowly come on and go off to replicate natural light?

Thanks.
Hello and welcome to Fishlore!

Please, please, please, do not pack it in!! Reading through your description, you're doing many, many things right!! You have researched and are taking care of your fish well from what you describe. Sometimes fish have an episode or get ill. They sometimes die. The best we can do is to provide them with the greatest care that we can and you seem to be definitely doing that!!

I don't think that you're overstocked right now. As the Mollies in particular get older and bigger, that may end up being the case. I don't think the way that you describe your feeding is out of line either.

I wholly agree about getting a timer for the lights. There are also some LED options that are not terribly expensive and have a timer along with sunrise and sunset options that cause the lights to come on and go off graduallly. Hygger makes some nice ones, so do Nicrew.

Hang in there. If your fish is fine now, just monitor it and keep doing what you're doing. If you see more symptoms, maybe add on to this post and I'm sure that you'll be able to get some help!

By the way, we love pictures on the site! Would love to see a pic of your tank!! :)
Thanks for the response & the support. I'll definitely check the manufacturers you mentioned & I've no idea why I haven't thought about changing the lights. Maybe subconsciously I thought they'd be fine but common sense would be enough to know replicating natural light the best we can is surely the best option.

I will post the photos tomorrow as I'm downstairs and the tank is in my son's room. I wish I'd have researched the substrates first too as I used what I got because somebody offered it to me for dirt cheap & now I know how difficult it is to change I may as well just wait until I move them to the bigger tank.
I'd obviously like live plants too but as I'm new to the hobby, I thought best to stick with plastic plants until I'm more confident and experienced.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Agree, your doing fine, far better than most "Newbies".

Of course from time to time we all have had issues with our "Wet" pets. As mentioned continue your feeding and water change regime. I normally feed mine once a day and do have a fasting day once a week.

Good Luck!

Let's see some pics...
Thanks. It's good to hear I seem to be doing better than I thought.
I'll post photos tomorrow & please if you see something you think could be better then I'd appreciate the feedback.

Good idea & I'm presuming there's soft lights that slowly come on and go off to replicate natural light?

Thanks.

Thanks for the response & the support. I'll definitely check the manufacturers you mentioned & I've no idea why I haven't thought about changing the lights. Maybe subconsciously I thought they'd be fine but common sense would be enough to know replicating natural light the best we can is surely the best option.

I will post the photos tomorrow as I'm downstairs and the tank is in my son's room. I wish I'd have researched the substrates first too as I used what I got because somebody offered it to me for dirt cheap & now I know how difficult it is to change I may as well just wait until I move them to the bigger tank.
I'd obviously like live plants too but as I'm new to the hobby, I thought best to stick with plastic plants until I'm more confident and experienced.

I'll post photos tomorrow & please if you see something you think could be better then I'd appreciate the feedback.

IMG_20210926_191637742.jpg
This is a photo from about 3 weeks ago so I'll take some close ups tomorrow.

Thanks.

Also the fish are all at the top in this image because they knew I was there so they associate me being there with feeding. They do swim all over from top to bottom.

Thanks.

Thanks.

Also the fish are all at the top in this image because they knew I was there so they associate me being there with feeding. They do swim all over from top to bottom.
This is photo is also before I added the second filter.

Drakenstein78

Some more photos.

Attachments

• IMG_20211025_094524501.jpg
    IMG_20211025_094524501.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20211025_094559370.jpg
    IMG_20211025_094559370.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20211025_094659285.jpg
    IMG_20211025_094659285.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20211025_094809999.jpg
    IMG_20211025_094809999.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20211025_094427240.jpg
    IMG_20211025_094427240.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20211025_094434249.jpg
    IMG_20211025_094434249.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20211025_094329196.jpg
    IMG_20211025_094329196.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 19

Drakenstein78

2 Orange mollies have died since my last post and I've spend £40 on a test kit and tried everything I know. Readings of ammonia are 0.2 no matter what and I've managed to get the KH up from 2 to 6 but the PH as risen from 7.0 to about 8.0.

Thanks for the info but can't be bothered with this constant effort and constantly spending to achieve nothing. Got 8 fish left so hopefully I can find somebody to buy the set up with the fish.
Far to much effort for not much reward.

Juzaili

Sorry to hear that your mollies, but i think maybe you can try checking your TDS. Based on my experience, fish also can die if they are stressed (maybe turn on light, or maybe someone always knocking your tank or maybe not enough O2 in water.)

Drakenstein78

Hi.

Thanks for the response. I don't see any fish gasping for air and I've got two filters running for a 70 litre (20 gallon) tank with an air stone. One filter is for 100-200 litre on the lowest setting and one is sufficient for a 50 litre tank. I have two boys at 8 & 9 year old and they've been brought up to love and respect animals & I've never seen them bang on the tank as I've explained how bad that is for fish. I've been keeping the light off constantly and just letting the natural light from outside do the job without shining directly on the tank. The temperature can sometimes fluctuate but only between 74 & 78 degrees. I've been feeding once a day now. The platties have been fine and I've had 4 of them for over 4 months now with no issues and two other platties for about a month now.

Could it be problems within the mollies that existed while in the pet shop as I have seen dead fish floating at the top of some of their tanks. I questioned this and they said they remove them ASAP but letting fish die this way in a shop doesn't sit well with me.

I also treat the water and climatize the new fish for 45 minutes letting in the tank water every 10 minutes before releasing the fish into the tank.

I'm thinking of doing one last thing before I pack it in.
I want to set up another 55 gallon tank that I have and move the fish to that as it should be easier to keep the levels all correct right?
How would you go about this? I obviously need another filter to start this process and I'm going to treat the new tank as though I'm managing and looking after water until I get steady readings and buy fish to suit the readings rather than buy fish and try to change the water parameters to suit.
I don't have an abundance of time and every time a fish dies I feel like I've failed them and that's what bothers me. If I could go back I'd have simply managed the water for months until I understood everything then slowly added fish.
Sorry to hear that your mollies, but i think maybe you can try checking your TDS. Based on my experience, fish also can die if they are stressed (maybe turn on light, or maybe someone always knocking your tank or maybe not enough O2 in water.)
What is TDS by the way?

Juzaili

Hi.

Thanks for the response. I don't see any fish gasping for air and I've got two filters running for a 70 litre (20 gallon) tank with an air stone. One filter is for 100-200 litre on the lowest setting and one is sufficient for a 50 litre tank. I have two boys at 8 & 9 year old and they've been brought up to love and respect animals & I've never seen them bang on the tank as I've explained how bad that is for fish. I've been keeping the light off constantly and just letting the natural light from outside do the job without shining directly on the tank. The temperature can sometimes fluctuate but only between 74 & 78 degrees. I've been feeding once a day now. The platties have been fine and I've had 4 of them for over 4 months now with no issues and two other platties for about a month now.

Could it be problems within the mollies that existed while in the pet shop as I have seen dead fish floating at the top of some of their tanks. I questioned this and they said they remove them ASAP but letting fish die this way in a shop doesn't sit well with me.

I also treat the water and climatize the new fish for 45 minutes letting in the tank water every 10 minutes before releasing the fish into the tank.

I'm thinking of doing one last thing before I pack it in.
I want to set up another 55 gallon tank that I have and move the fish to that as it should be easier to keep the levels all correct right?
How would you go about this? I obviously need another filter to start this process and I'm going to treat the new tank as though I'm managing and looking after water until I get steady readings and buy fish to suit the readings rather than buy fish and try to change the water parameters to suit.
I don't have an abundance of time and every time a fish dies I feel like I've failed them and that's what bothers me. If I could go back I'd have simply managed the water for months until I understood everything then slowly added fish.

What is TDS by the way?
TDS = Total Dissolved Solids. TDS in water refers to the amount of total dissolved solids in your water.
you can also check this link for more info
What is a TDS meter and do you need one?

Drakenstein78

TDS = Total Dissolved Solids. TDS in water refers to the amount of total dissolved solids in your water.
you can also check this link for more info
What is a TDS meter and do you need one?
Thanks for this. My local aquarium shop said the area is a soft water area which is why I stuck with soft water fish.
Readings I have taken would confirm this too.
I had to put some baking soda into the tank a few days ago and I also changed a quarter of the gravel for crushed shell substrate and it helped raise the KH as it was very low and it's now within the required boundaries from what I read. The only PH test I have are the strips which before I added the crushed shell substrate and baking soda was about 6.8 & now it's about 8.0 according to the strips. I don't know if it was wise to raise it so sudden but I had to get the KH up. I'm hoping it goes down slowly when as the baking soda wouldn't be a permanent fix. I'm hoping the quarter crushed shell substrate will keep the PH higher than the previous 6.8 but lower than 8.0. I will test again tonight.
Thanks for this. My local aquarium shop said the area is a soft water area which is why I stuck with soft water fish.
Readings I have taken would confirm this too.
I had to put some baking soda into the tank a few days ago and I also changed a quarter of the gravel for crushed shell substrate and it helped raise the KH as it was very low and it's now within the required boundaries from what I read. The only PH test I have are the strips which before I added the crushed shell substrate and baking soda was about 6.8 & now it's about 8.0 according to the strips. I don't know if it was wise to raise it so sudden but I had to get the KH up. I'm hoping it goes down slowly when as the baking soda wouldn't be a permanent fix. I'm hoping the quarter crushed shell substrate will keep the PH higher than the previous 6.8 but lower than 8.0. I will test again tonight.
Another Molly is showing signs of lethargy and on occassion it loses bouyancy but only for a few seconds. Another Molly seems to be harassing it especially when in this state. I fear I may slowly lose all the mollies.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
fishnovice33
Replies
Views
Chris1212
Replies
Views
kdsm0527
Replies
Views