Advice for a beginner/ Guppy Question Question

Discussion in 'Guppy' started by tatty_kassy, Mar 23, 2010.

1. tatty_kassy

tatty_kassy Valued Member Member

Hello, I just started a fish tank about 3 days ago. I purchased the tank from a woman who had hurt her back and was no longer able to care for it. It had been functional for over a year apparently and she emptied it about 1 1/2 hours before I came to get it. I got about 12 gallons of the original water, the gravel and decorations were still submerged in the water, and 3 danios, a tetra, and a guppy. I took the whole thing home and had it set up within the hour. I cleaned the tank and decorations (with a vinegar water mix) and rinsed them. I put the water in, and then filled up the rest of it with reverse osmosis water and put about half of the required conditioner for a 25 gallon tank. I figured that because the water has no chemicals in it, it wouldn't need alot of conditioner.
    So its been three days, I have been watching them carefully. Everything looks good, the danios are very active and happily swimming around and eating good. The Tetra looks good too, breathing is relaxed, not as active but is patrolling. The guppy, however, has been breathing pretty fast since I got her home. I figured once she got in the tank, she'd slow down, but shes still panting and its been three days. Shes eating well, swimming around, not at the top of the tank, shes not struggling when she just hovers somewhere for a spell. I don't know whether to be concerned or not.
    I am purchasing a test kit tonight, so I can check the official levels tonight, but all the other fish look good. None of them are breathing fast at all.
    She looks in good shape too, the gills and fins are all good, shes clean and has no spots or anything on her. Shes just breathing really fast.

What could be causing this? (Assuming the levels are all good, I will know tonight for sure)

Thank you for your time!

2. d

djorna Valued Member Member

the best thing you can do like you mentioned is get the test kit and test the water. if your guppy is eating well thats a good sign I would not worry yet. good luck.

3. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore!

Sometime gasping fish is a sign of elevated nitrites, so it's good you are getting a test kit tonight. I highly recommend the API Master Test Kit for freshwater. It is far more accurate than test strips, and dispite it's higher initail price it is cheaper in the long run since you will get 100's of tests out of it.

Hopefully you didn't get a major bacteria die-off during the move putting you into a mini-cycle.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  4. p

philipbouchard-davies Valued Member Member

Just throwing this out here you need to get more tetras of the same species (at least 6, but the more the better) If not he will be stressed and may become diseased, also wont live its full life expectancy.

Phil :)

5. Morgan111

Morgan111 Well Known Member Member

I too would worry about the re cycling of the tank, I'd have not washed the plants till the tank had been re set up for a while.... I hope your guppy is ok and I too would add more tetras after the tank is established and testing well for a while.... IMO

6. _Fried_Bettas_

_Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

Very likely the fish is suffering from pH shock and TDS shock from going from old probably dirty water to RO water. Did you acclimatize the fish before putting them in the RO.

7. OP
    OP
    tatty_kassy

tatty_kassy Valued Member Member

Thank you guys for the responses! I am looking forward to learning how to do a good job. :)
    I got the Nutrifin Mini Master test kit, and tested the water. Ammonia was at 0, Nitrites were at 0, Nitrates were at 3 mg/L, and the ph is at 7.
    I actually did not float the old fish, I just put them into the new tank once it was set up and the temperature was good. So that could be perhaps what the guppy's issue was, shock from not being floated first?
    Also, I did purchase two tetras to add to the tank, and another danio. I floated them for about 3 hours doing water exchanges, I even checked the ph of the store water to make sure it lined up with mine. The tetras are getting along so far and enjoying each others company, the first one is definitely more active now. The Danios are actually not nipping eachother as much now either.

I'm going to keep checking the levels to make sure things look good, so far it doesn't look like the conditions are an issue.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice