Advice for 10 gallon betta tank Help 

FloydtheBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hey everyone, so it’s been a while since I’ve been active on here— long story short, my beloved betta Floyd died getting stuck between a decoration and the glass in his tank. I was so upset about it I really couldn’t imagine getting another fish. It took all I had just to keep the tank going for the blue dream shrimp, snails, and plants I had.

Fast forward to now and I finally felt ready to get a new fish. I set up the UNS 45U (9.3 gal) that was originally going to be my second tank but decided to just decommission Floyd’s old tank. I moved the 60+ blue dream shrimp (they’ve been breeding like mad for me) and the snails, then added a beautiful new betta (Comet)

I’m running it with a 50 watt Via Aqua heater set at 82 but it will only go up to 76.5 after the first couple of days. Idk if it’s because I’m in Chicago and my apartment is too cold or if I need a stronger heater than was recommended for my tank size. Suggestions appreciated!

Also, I have the dymax slim flo sf 500 HOB filter but my lid doesn’t fit with it and I don’t love seeing it in the back window of my tank. Any suggestions for filters that don’t take up tank space and would work for a 10 gallon?

Attachments

FinalFins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
hang on back cansiter filter.

Whitewolf

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
For just one betta after awhile there will be enough bacteria in the gravel. These types of tanks are meant to be low tech anyways. As far as the heater, mount it sideways and at the bottom of the tank for the most heat distribution (if its submersible of course)
A small sponge filter with a air pump would work but you would produce a lot of bubble and ruin the calm serenity of the nano tank.
I would suggest look for a powerfilter that suction cups to the tank on the inside, its submersible, like a powerhead with a filter in it.

FinalFins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Whitewolf the OP is looking for a filter that takes up little space. To my knowlege sponge filters take up lots of valuable space, yes?

Also bettas do not tolerate high flow so a powerhead/powerfilter would not be appropriate in this tank.

Whitewolf

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Not all sponge filters or powerheads have a high flow. Not appropriate in this tank?
What are you the only person allowed to give advice or suggestions?
I think my suggestion of a powerfilter is the same flow as your suggestion of a HOB canister filter
https://www.amazon.com/Aqueon-Quietflow-Internal-Filter-Gallon/dp/B00AWV4R8I/ref=asc_df_B00AWV4R8I/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid={creative}&hvpos={adposition}&hvnetw=o&hvrand={random}&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl={devicemodel}&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583589101770223&psc=1

FloydtheBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thank you both for the advice, I’ll look into it all! I think I may be able to just get the smaller version of the hob I have now assuming the plants will help filter and its not fully stocked.

FinalFins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Whitewolf said:
Not all sponge filters or powerheads have a high flow. Not appropriate in this tank?
What are you the only person allowed to give advice or suggestions?
I think my suggestion of a powerfilter is the same flow as your suggestion of a HOB canister filter
I never said I was the only person allowed to give advice, and quite frankly that was kind of rude. I said a POWERHEAD had a high flow, but I must apologize for not realizing some powerheads/power filter did not have high flows as others. But again, the OP is looking for a filter that doesn't take up space, and a internal filter does take space.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom