Advice Appreciated! Please Id. What Is This Plant? What Does It Need?

lilangelfish716

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I can’t seem to find an ID on this plant anywhere and I can’t figure out what it needs. Can anyone help?
IMG_2392.JPG

midna

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
i believe this is rotala rotundifolia in its emersed form, which makes sense that you couldn't find an id. i may be wrong though. once it starts growing underwater the leaves will become much thinner and closer together.

like all plants, good fertilizer, light, and co2 are needed for optimal growth. rotala is a fairly easy plant.

Rotala rotundifolia - Tropica Aquarium Plants

lilangelfish716

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
i believe this is rotala rotundifolia in its emersed form, which makes sense that you couldn't find an id. i may be wrong though. once it starts growing underwater the leaves will become much thinner and closer together.

like all plants, good fertilizer, light, and co2 are needed for optimal growth. rotala is a fairly easy plant.

Rotala rotundifolia - Tropica Aquarium Plants
Wow! Thank you! I never would have suspected that and was so surprised my plant ID book didn't have it- it has never let me down. Appreciate your time and advice. I'm concerned bc it's not growing upright. My lights I thought were bright enough but maybe they need replacing. I will add more supplements too.

midna

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Wow! Thank you! I never would have suspected that and was so surprised my plant ID book didn't have it- it has never let me down. Appreciate your time and advice. I'm concerned bc it's not growing upright. My lights I thought were bright enough but maybe they need replacing. I will add more supplements too.
rotala will grow toward the light. i see that some of the stems are growing side roots, which means they are trying to creep and root sideways. try clipping those dangling roots to encourage upright growth. sometimes it might take a while to straighten out.

lilangelfish716

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
rotala will grow toward the light. i see that some of the stems are growing side roots, which means they are trying to creep and root sideways. try clipping those dangling roots to encourage upright growth. sometimes it might take a while to straighten out.
I will definitely try this, this is a trick I've never done before. Just ordered a bunch of seachem products too that I have had success with in the past and will keep this tank on a routine dosing schedule. Will dose with flourish excel and flourish iron routinely and am hopeful to see improvement. Thanks again!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom