30 Gallon Tank Advice and Encouragement

jazzmoine

I've had a 30 Gallon fish tank for over a year now about two months ago I had completely re-scaped the tank because I had very aggressive Angel Kois and they killed a few of my other fish. After I did the rescaping, I moved my lovely Platinum Betta into a community tank with Neon Tetras, Platy, Harlequin Rasboras, Diamond Tetras, Corydoras and a Pleco. Recently, I have been having so much trouble keeping up with the water quality because I had a mystery snail who devoured EVERY. SINGLE. PLANT. within 2-3 weeks of putting him into my tank, ruining oxygen levels and hiding spots for other fish. I've done many water changes, tests, added more plants, you name it.

While I know people will ask for tank parameters etc., I am truly just discouraged. I came downstairs today to see my other fish literally attacking and killing my Betta. I have never seen them do that to him because he has always been a gentle Betta (he's only ever flared at me once). Prior to this, my Betta also had severe cases of fin rot from which he did not fully heal but otherwise he has always been healthy and never aggressive with his tank mates. But I literally started to break down and cry. I managed to save him and put him in a hospital tank but he's already swimming upside down and I don't think there's much left for me to do. I don't know what kind of advice I'm looking for here but anything would be helpful.

If this has ever happened to you and you managed to continue your aquarium hobby, what did you do? Should I size down my tank? Give it up altogether? This really sucks. So I'm hoping to find some words of encouragement. I've put so much love and time into this tank.

Those are the photos of my Betta and My tank when I had first re-scaped.

Attachments

• IMG_4073.jpeg
    IMG_4073.jpeg
    171.1 KB · Views: 44
  • Screen Shot 2021-02-20 at 5.36.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-20 at 5.36.09 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 47

FishSupreme

Good luck! I hope things turn out well.

Upvote 0

emmykenzie

Welcome to fishlore!
Secondly, your tanks are gorgeous and I am so sorry for your losses! I feel your pain!
Don't give up! I know it can be SO discouraging when your little guys don't make it, and trust me I think we've all shed a few tears.
Do what you think is best in this situation, if you want to try to save him go all in; if you feel the best thing is to euthanize that is ultimately your decision.
Again, I'm so sorry this happened and I'm sorry I can't offer more insight.
Best, Emily

Upvote 0

The2dCour

Wow, sorry to hear about your troubles! IME Mystery snails don't usually gobble up healthy plants unless they are really delicate, decaying or the snails are starving. It looks like on your rescape that unless the snails found food all they had were plants?

That is one GORGEOUS betta! I'm almost crying for him myself.

Upvote 0

jake37

This is more l likely an apple snail and not a mystery snail and you really don't want to keep it - nor do you want to release it in the wild.

. Recently, I have been having so much trouble keeping up with the water quality because I had a mystery snail who devoured EVERY. SINGLE. PLANT. within 2-3 weeks of putting him into my tank, ruining oxygen levels and hiding spots for other fish. I've done many water changes, tests, added more plants, you name it.

Upvote 0

ninetyinone

I’m sorry for your fish troubles! But you could always try throwing an algae water or shrimp pellets in there and see if the snail will eat those instead. Or a piece of blanched zucchini. Other fish might eat shrimp pellets so just be careful with that.

Big snails have big appetites and some of them are too lazy to scrounge the entire tank for algae so they’ll eat whatever they do find when they get hungry enough.

Upvote 0

Bettatakeover

My journey started much like yours. I tried to do a beginner friendly live bearer tank with guppies, mollies and platies. Perfect for my ph of 8.2 right? Nope. They all died. Every. Single. One. Except for my balloon molly and betta. This happened over the course of 6 months.
Tried again thinking maybe the tank was was too new or I wasn’t fully cycled (I was). Same result. Still have the balloon molly and betta.

Now I LOVE the beauty and colours of guppies. I was so discouraged that now I would have to settle for ‘boring’ fish. I left just the 2 fish and my rabbit snails for a good 8 weeks (doing water changes every week but nothing new).

At this point my LFS re opens from it’s forced covid closure. I decide to try some panda cories. Everyone says cories are fun. And they are pretty cute. And they live. And I add some peaceful rummynose (10 so a decent school). All is good. Until I get up one morning and my bettas fins are shredded by the tetras. I put him into a hospital tank but ultimately euthanized him.

I was so upset that after everything my betta died like that. I was ready to give up. Again.

A couple weeks later my LFS brought igorgeous honey gouramis. Something I couldn’t have with my male betta.

And I just slowly added to the tank. Now it has kind of a hodgepodge of fish but it works and everyone seems fat and happy for the most part. I was even able to intrude a female betta (a spare tank was available if she was aggressive) whose short fins are completely ignored by the rummynose.

Your tank is beautiful. Don’t give up. Maybe just leave it as it is and do the minimum maintenance while you regroup. The tank will settle. Maybe rehome the snail if it’s destructive. Most of your fish are schooling fish so they might need more of their own kind (6 minimum). 30G is too small for that many. Pick your favourite fish species and rehome some of the others (or you could start another tank)

The pink crowntail betta is the one that died. The others are my tank now and some of the fish. At my lowest point it was down to that 1 betta and ballon molly.

Attachments

• 7D5769C6-1DE2-4F88-AB97-EC691C0D564C.jpeg
    7D5769C6-1DE2-4F88-AB97-EC691C0D564C.jpeg
    203.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 0A865113-9983-4047-B97E-D910D3EB68DD.jpeg
    0A865113-9983-4047-B97E-D910D3EB68DD.jpeg
    219.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 3DCA694A-EDC0-47A6-90DC-951CB5409C6A.jpeg
    3DCA694A-EDC0-47A6-90DC-951CB5409C6A.jpeg
    182.2 KB · Views: 18
  • AC002280-09C8-412E-BEC0-06F62AB1612C.jpeg
    AC002280-09C8-412E-BEC0-06F62AB1612C.jpeg
    283.3 KB · Views: 19
  • CE4B049B-1DF8-4C85-BB64-ABC706CCB1F3.jpeg
    CE4B049B-1DF8-4C85-BB64-ABC706CCB1F3.jpeg
    242 KB · Views: 17
  • 87F27184-6689-4BEB-8651-B64A22005E35.jpeg
    87F27184-6689-4BEB-8651-B64A22005E35.jpeg
    103.7 KB · Views: 16
Upvote 0

Dechi

I’m sorry you’re having a hard time but don’t give up. This is a wonderful hobby but there is often a steep learning curve.

Now you know Bettas need to be in a tank alone and apple snails aren’t so nice. You have also learned you need to research every single fish or invert before adding it to your tank.

Do what you can for your Betta. Add aquarium salt if you can to the hospital tank and keep it warm enough. Let’s hope your Betta survives.

Rehome the snail.

From now on it will get better.

Upvote 0

betta06

wow! amazing tank and betta.

Upvote 0

jazzmoine

Hi everyone, thank you for all the kind words and encouragement. I just wanted to update you that I lost Pluto. The damage was done and he died a couple of hours later. He really was the friendliest betta ever, he would swim into my palm sometimes and even let me pet him haha.

Pluto has been living in the community tank with my other fish peacefully for about 3-4 months. I wasn't aware of the timeline but I actually re-scaped my tank back in October. (I just saw the date stamps on my photos haha. Just realizing now I should have been more specific on the dates.) Because Pluto had fin rot a while back, I think he just became very sensitive to certain things, so yesterday all the other fish saw him vulnerable and took the opportunity to attack him. They have never had that kind of behaviour prior to yesterday.

As for the giant snail I had, I had a lot of algae in my tank and every 1-2 days I'd throw in an algae wafer. I should have mentioned that I actually rehomed him a month ago, and just couldn't get my tank back to normal.

In the meantime, I'm going to keep trying to maintain my tank and get it back to a healthier quality. Maybe size down my tank to a 20. I also thought I would like to share a pic of my tank before Pluto and the recent re-scape, and a picture of how pluto used to greet me every morning. Thank you everyone for your support.
My journey started much like yours. I tried to do a beginner friendly live bearer tank with guppies, mollies and platies. Perfect for my ph of 8.2 right? Nope. They all died. Every. Single. One. Except for my balloon molly and betta. This happened over the course of 6 months.
Tried again thinking maybe the tank was was too new or I wasn’t fully cycled (I was). Same result. Still have the balloon molly and betta.

Now I LOVE the beauty and colours of guppies. I was so discouraged that now I would have to settle for ‘boring’ fish. I left just the 2 fish and my rabbit snails for a good 8 weeks (doing water changes every week but nothing new).

At this point my LFS re opens from it’s forced covid closure. I decide to try some panda cories. Everyone says cories are fun. And they are pretty cute. And they live. And I add some peaceful rummynose (10 so a decent school). All is good. Until I get up one morning and my bettas fins are shredded by the tetras. I put him into a hospital tank but ultimately euthanized him.

I was so upset that after everything my betta died like that. I was ready to give up. Again.

A couple weeks later my LFS brought igorgeous honey gouramis. Something I couldn’t have with my male betta.

And I just slowly added to the tank. Now it has kind of a hodgepodge of fish but it works and everyone seems fat and happy for the most part. I was even able to intrude a female betta (a spare tank was available if she was aggressive) whose short fins are completely ignored by the rummynose.

Your tank is beautiful. Don’t give up. Maybe just leave it as it is and do the minimum maintenance while you regroup. The tank will settle. Maybe rehome the snail if it’s destructive. Most of your fish are schooling fish so they might need more of their own kind (6 minimum). 30G is too small for that many. Pick your favourite fish species and rehome some of the others (or you could start another tank)

The pink crowntail betta is the one that died. The others are my tank now and some of the fish. At my lowest point it was down to that 1 betta and ballon molly.

I totally feel this. I started out with a 10gall live-bearing tank all guppies and mollies, they all died. Also at the time I was getting all my advice from Pet Smart... No hate but i dont think they knew what they were doing out there haha.

I just love bettas and I love them in a community tank which is why i was so determined to have Pluto in one because I loved him so much and he got along so well with the others. He even shared his Spongebob home with my Pleco when I moved him into the 30 Gall.

It'll definitely be tricky to pick my favourite fish. I got diamond tetras and there's so beautiful but they can be a little feisty with food cos they've gotten fairly large. One actually jumped out of the tank and landed under my couch and my dog found him :'( and carried him around the house LOL I know its so terrible but I think it's hilarious.

Thank you for the advice though, and Im glad that your tank gotten to a great place and that you're happy with the fish you've got now Hoping I can reach that too!
Wow, sorry to hear about your troubles! IME Mystery snails don't usually gobble up healthy plants unless they are really delicate, decaying or the snails are starving. It looks like on your rescape that unless the snails found food all they had were plants?

That is one GORGEOUS betta! I'm almost crying for him myself.

I would throw algae wafers in there just for him. Nope! he preferred live plants! I once saw him with an entire moneywort STEM in his mouth LOL.

And thank you, he really was the most beautiful betta I have ever had. I'm glad he's resting now <3
I’m sorry for your fish troubles! But you could always try throwing an algae water or shrimp pellets in there and see if the snail will eat those instead. Or a piece of blanched zucchini. Other fish might eat shrimp pellets so just be careful with that.

Big snails have big appetites and some of them are too lazy to scrounge the entire tank for algae so they’ll eat whatever they do find when they get hungry enough.

I will definitely try that next time. I've got Zebra Nerites in my tank now to eat the algae (which is what I was hoping my last snail would do).

I wish I could say my big boy snail was lazy but he definitely wasn't! IMO, he was definitely just a picky eater! I guess he liked the finer things in life haha.
Welcome to fishlore!
Secondly, your tanks are gorgeous and I am so sorry for your losses! I feel your pain!
Don't give up! I know it can be SO discouraging when your little guys don't make it, and trust me I think we've all shed a few tears.
Do what you think is best in this situation, if you want to try to save him go all in; if you feel the best thing is to euthanize that is ultimately your decision.
Again, I'm so sorry this happened and I'm sorry I can't offer more insight.
Best, Emily

Thanks for the Welcome Emily

I've definitely lost many fish before this. I've been in the hobby for about 2 years now. This was really just the straw that broke the camel's back. Hopefully, I can keep going and figure out the next step for myself and my finned friends moving forward.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-21 at 11.20.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-21 at 11.20.41 AM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 17
  • Screen Shot 2021-02-21 at 11.18.49 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-21 at 11.18.49 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
coolio3991