Advice Adding A Rescue To My Community…

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by JHBROWNE, Apr 7, 2017.

1. JHBROWNE

JHBROWNEValued MemberMember

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Ok, I rescued this little platty almost 2 weeks ago from a very neglected take as seen in the pictures. He has had a 5 day treatment with Lifeguard, has been in a clean heated quarantine tank with a bubbler and filter. He is very active, hearty appetite, meets me at the side for food. So
    my question is when can/should I move him to my 20 gallon community tank. Is it going to have a negative affect given he has been on his own for a very long time? My community tank has Corys, 4 bloodfins, 2 Red-Eye Tetras, and I’m pretty sure one Clown Pleco however he never comes out of his barrel and when I do see him he rolls his eyes and scoots the minute I blink.

2. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

I would quarantine him for at least 4 weeks. If he appears healthy after 4 weeks you can add him to your tank. He should be fine with the other fish, platies are very peaceful.

You have some stocking issues if you'd like to discuss them.

3. TySabol

TySabolValued MemberMember

I think after being in the quarantine for a week he should be fine to move. I don't see him having a problem with being in the community tank considering he'll have a ton of space and you don't have that many other fish.

4. MaddieTaylah

MaddieTaylahWell Known MemberMember

Off topic but your schooling fish need larger groups.

5. OP
    OP
    JHBROWNE

Yes, please all advice welcome :)

Any all recommendations welcome :)

In the community tank The others are 2 albino 2 peppered and 3 each of theses guys

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2017
  6. BottomDweller

The bloodfins, red eye tetras and each type of cory need to be in groups of 6+
    The peppered cories need cooler water than the clown pleco

7. OP
    OP
    JHBROWNE

With it being a 20 gallon tank what should or can I do regarding stocking? The tank is around 74 degrees...

8. BottomDweller

I would do this
    6-8 Bloodfin tetras
    6-8 Cories of one type, not a mixture
    1 Platy

You could add a couple of non schooling fish to that mixture

9. OP
    OP
    JHBROWNE

Is this in addition to what I already have, to complete the schools or would that be total for a 20 gallon I would hate to over stock...I can say my corys love each other, however the peppers kind of keep to them selves...

10. BottomDweller

What I suggested would be the full stocking. Your schooling fish need to be in groups of 6+ but if you upped all your schools to 6 then you would be overstocked.

11. OP
    OP
    JHBROWNE

I have a stocked 10 gallon also maybe I can swap some out to even the schools up

Any suggestions on the pleco are they always that anti social or am I doing something wrong with the lil brat lol

12. BottomDweller

Clown plecos are one of the shyer types of pleco. I don't think you're doing anything wrong

13. OP
    OP
    JHBROWNE

Thank you... I was feeling bad...when I upgraded to the 20 I made sure to keep his hideaway...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice