Advice about barbs for community tank

nzjafa
Hi all, I'm keen to add a school of 6 barbs to my 55G planted community tank - currently I have RNTs, green neons, sterbais, hillstream loaches, kuhlis and shrimp, with a betta imbellis and possibly some Pseudomugils to come later.

My options are:
- five banded barbs
- odessa barbs
- black ruby barbs,
- cherry barbs

Looking to add some great reds to my community, non-aggressive and fun.

Would love some opinions/suggestions from anyone with experience with these species. Thanks! :)

Advertisement
GlennO
What are RNT's?

Barbs can be quite boisterous and since you have neons and shrimp I'd be considering the smallest barbs such as cherrys, checkered or five banded. I think your shrimp will still probably get eaten unless there is a lot of thick cover.

Pseudomugils are probably not ideal for this sort of community tank but if you stick to small peaceful tankmates it might work.

Advertisement
nzjafa
RNTs = Rummy-nose tetras

Thanks. The tank is pretty well planted, so I'm not too worried about the shrimp. I'll have a look at the cherrys and the five-bandeds.

Hellfishguy
Five-banded or six-banded - they’re pretty much the same fish - are extremely docile for barbs. I’ve kept them in community tanks for many years with zero problems. I highly recommend them.

jinjerJOSH22
Five-banded or six-banded - they’re pretty much the same fish - are extremely docile for barbs. I’ve kept them in community tanks for many years with zero problems. I highly recommend them.
Agreed, one of the more chill Barbs that I've kept.
I would also recommend Pethia gelius/Golden Dwarf Barb if you can find them. They quickly became one of my favourite barbs.

DaniosForever
I feel like cherry barbs would be great because of their bright red or orange colors

Advertisement
nzjafa
Agreed, one of the more chill Barbs that I've kept.
I would also recommend Pethia gelius/Golden Dwarf Barb if you can find them. They quickly became one of my favourite barbs.

I like the look of golden dwarf barbs, but they don't seem to be available in Australia unfortunately.

DaniosForever
I never had barbs before but I will soon I’m thinking either Rosy barbs or melon barbs

BlueRaccoon
Cherry barbs are known to be one of the most peaceful barbs. I think they are an overall great choice because of their color and temperament. However, they are mostly peacful when you have them in large schools. Think at least 10. When I had only two males, the ones was extremely bossy. However, once I added more, everyone is calm. They are hardy and great little fish.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Basil
Replies
Views
Mombo
Replies
Views
BlueRaccoon
Replies
Views