Adult RCS found dead in tank

fishietank

I was inspecting/watching my shrimp tank and I saw a one of my adult males laying dead on it's side on the bottom of the tank, so I quickly did some tests to see if the water was in bad shape. The results are as follows:

Ammonia- 0
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 5
pH- 7.9
KH- 7
GH- 6
TDS- 120

I don't see anything wrong with the water at all, yet there is a shrimp that died. It's not old age I don't believe, because I got it as a juvenile in the beginning of May so it can't even be a year old yet.

The tank is an 18g with 70+ other adult and baby shrimp that all look like they're doing fine.

Some things to note are:
-I just changed the schedule of water changes from weekly to biweekly. However, it's already been almost a week past the biweekly change so I would think that if there was a problem, it would have showed up way closer to the WC

-I see plenty of molts in the tank so everyone looks like they're doing fine in that area

-I don't feed them much store food (probably once every week or two) and 1-2 weeks ago I fed them slightly more (2-3 times in 2 weeks) but I haven't fed them in a few days. I think the last time I fed them was 10 days ago.

-The temp in the tank has been a bit higher than I've been wanting due to the summer weather. I highest I've seen was 84 but mostly it's been around 81-83 degrees fahrenheit.

Does anyone see any problems or causes for this death? Do you think more will die in the days following or do you think this is a one-off?

ProudPapa

Unless you find a few more dead, and as long as the others are behaving normally, I wouldn't worry about it.

Cherryshrimp420

Hmm your TDS reading doesnt match up with the KH and GH readings....It should be at least 200 TDS

fishietank

Hmm your TDS reading doesnt match up with the KH and GH readings....It should be at least 200 TDS
So what are you saying is the wrong reading, KH/GH or TDS meter? My TDS meter is factory calibrated and very lightly used and the KH/GH is from the API master kit.

I just re-calibrated my TDS meter and it was about 100 ppm off of what the calibration solution says it should be. I calibrated it and my shrimp tank water read about 140ppm.

Cherryshrimp420

So what are you saying is the wrong reading, KH/GH or TDS meter? My TDS meter is factory calibrated and very lightly used and the KH/GH is from the API master kit.

I just re-calibrated my TDS meter and it was about 100 ppm off of what the calibration solution says it should be. I calibrated it and my shrimp tank water read about 140ppm.
Do you mean 240ppm?

With cherries they are a lot like snails. Their population will adjust according to the water conditions so if you change maintenance schedule, expect a change in the population density as well.

fishietank

Do you mean 240ppm?

With cherries they are a lot like snails. Their population will adjust according to the water conditions so if you change maintenance schedule, expect a change in the population density as well.
No the TDS meter read 14 and says to multiply by 10… so 140 ppm

Cherryshrimp420

Some reading is off then, 6 gh is about 100ppm, 7 kh about 120ppm so together should be at least 220ppm

Anyways if you had a big, exploding population of cherries and decide to reduce maintenance, then your population will diminish a bit. And yes you may find dead shrimps

It's hard to say exactly what caused the deaths....

fishietank

Some reading is off then, 6 gh is about 100ppm, 7 kh about 120ppm so together should be at least 220ppm

Anyways if you had a big, exploding population of cherries and decide to reduce maintenance, then your population will diminish a bit. And yes you may find dead shrimps

It's hard to say exactly what caused the deaths....
If shrimp were going to die from this, wouldn’t I have found dead shrimp closer to the change in the schedule, not a week later?

I took the shrimp out of the tank and the part of its body behind the head piece (abdomen) was dark red. Does this give you any clues?

Why would changing the water half as much possibly cause deaths? I don’t want to be causing deaths in my shrimp population

Cherryshrimp420 ProudPapa richiep

I now see another adult male in the tank with what seems to be the white ring of death...

Like I showed before the KH and GH are perfectly fine and I see molts already in the tank so it shouldn't be a problem with the water values. However, I only started noticing things out of the ordinary with my shrimp after I switched the WC schedule..

There shouldn't be a ring of death from changing from weekly WC to biweekly WC right??

Maybe I should just go back to weekly again.. I don't want to be killing my shrimp..

EDIT: the one with the white ring of death has now died too...

Cherryshrimp420

The change in population would be gradual. They won't drop dead the moment you stop WC

The parameters are still confusing, the GH KH dont add up with tds so something is off.

fishietank

The change in population would be gradual. They won't drop dead the moment you stop WC

The parameters are still confusing, the GH KH dont add up with tds so something is off.
So if the change in population would be gradual, doesn't it seem like these two shrimp (the one that died and the one seemingly with the white ring of death) would be being caused by other things rather than the WC schedule change?

Well which are you thinking is off, KH/GH test from API or the brand new and newly-calibrated TDS meter?

Cherryshrimp420

So if the change in population would be gradual, doesn't it seem like these two shrimp (the one that died and the one seemingly with the white ring of death) would be being caused by other things rather than the WC schedule change?

Well which are you thinking is off, KH/GH test from API or the brand new and newly-calibrated TDS meter?

Yes it could be other things. Even a pH crash or GH change can cause issues. No idea which test is off, Im guessing the TDS meter. Very rare to be 100ppm off if it's lightly used

MelkorTheVile

The temp is pretty high, but it probably isn't the sole reason, maybe a contributing factor. How is your flow and surface agitation? The higher the temp, the lower the oxygenation. If you could, have a fan blow across the open top to evaporative cool the tank.

fishietank

The temp is pretty high, but it probably isn't the sole reason, maybe a contributing factor. How is your flow and surface agitation? The higher the temp, the lower the oxygenation. If you could, have a fan blow across the open top to evaporative cool the tank.
Yes the temp is higher than I would like it to be also...

The surface agitation is pretty excellent I would say. It has a homemade sponge filter in it with a 1/2 PVC pipe core. The surface is always moving with tons of ripples in the water.

I'll try the fan, thanks

I also have a nerite snail in this tank and it's acting fine. Not showing any signs of trying to get out or trying to breathe on the surface of the water.

Sunrise

Don’t stress it. Fish die. Sure, it’s sad and everything, but if one fish dies it’s nothing to worry about.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ProudPapa
Replies
Views
EbiAqua
Replies
Views
ROFEA
Replies
Views