Adult food vs ALS food

1. Akari_32

Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

We ran into PetSmart to get a night time heating light for Ameila because she's been sleeping in weird places to try and keep warm, and when we went to check out they had bags of Wellness Core for 50% off at the register!! We got the ocean fish one. I checked it over for chicken or chicken fat, ect, and decided to go a head and buy it. For 8 bucks, you might as well, right? LOL

So anyways, Bentley is about 3 months and 3 weeks, close to, if not already, 6 pounds. I was going to put him on Taste of the Wild (one of the two available here that was all life stages. Can't remember which two flavors they are ATM), but since I just bought this bag of Wellness Core, I won't do that just yet, I don't think. I'll see what you guys have to say :)

So, my question is, is there a difference between adult foods and All Life Stages foods? I wouldn't really think so, but I'm not the food expert. I just know what to look for ingredient wise.

2. Shine

Shine Well Known Member Member

My question is why shouldn't a food be appropriate for "all life stages". Do we really think that dogs that aren't cared for by people, or that dogs in a historical sense; eat different things when they are young vs adults? In the wild once a wolf pup is no longer suckling/nursing it eats basically the same food as the adults. Regurgitated at first and then whole. Dogs, while having been domesticated for a long time, should not be any different. Second: I'm not really sure I trust most of the companies that sell "puppy" "adult" and then "senior" formulas... given that if you look at the ingredients often they contain inappropriate ingredients anyway. Seriously, what dog goes out into a field and eats barley, wheat and rice in its whole form? If the food has the proper ingredients and proper nutrition then it should be as valid for a young animal as a healthy older one.

Not saying that you buy those questionable foods Akari... just ranting. Hopefully semi-coherently :p

3. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

I was comparing the TOTW puppy and adult foods (the two puppy ones are new), and the onlynthing different it calorie content, really. Same with the Wellness foods from what i saw.

But that's my point exactly. Why would adult and all life stages forumlas be different? And since my puppy *isn't* a hyper active little freak 98% of the time, he can just get those extra calories from his sweet potato and duck treat things that he loves so much (not that he gets more than one or two a day, if even).

This is what we got him.

4. jetajockey

jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

The train of thought is that the babies/juveniles need more because they are in their development phase. Same concept goes for all animals that I know of, but I'm not a biologist.

5. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

You know Akari, I recommended all life stages food to you on another thread, a while ago. You didn't like the idea... :D

6. Shine

I agree that juveniles require more because they are growing jetajocky. In comparison to their size they eat more then the fully grown of their species... No arguments from me on that one. I just question that certain companies are actually providing that. Young children don't eat an entirely different diet then their parents; they just eat more (if you base it on body size vs intake) ;)

So if the food is biologically appropriate for the species (which many foods are not in my eyes) then it should be appropriate for both the young, and the full grown. If you look at the portion recomendations on a bag of ALS food you will probably note that a 1 year old dog is supposed to eat far more then one who is the same size, but 9 years old. If the food is 'appropriate to the species' then you get the higher calorie count a young animal needs by feeding more, and decreasing the amount after they no longer need it due to reaching their full growth.

7. jetajockey

jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

That would be one way to do it, or you could feed a diet that has higher calories inherent. Maybe the idea is to give them more nutrition packed into their feed so they don't have to eat nearly as much as they would otherwise.

Not to mention it gives them a second product line to market to people, but that's another topic unto itself. I can't say that I've ever bought a puppy/kitten specific food intentionally, but I guess the logic would be similar to feeding a child with formula even though they are already taking solid food.

8. Shine

A high quality food already has more nutritional value in the food... I think the main point of 'puppy' etc food is, as you mentioned, in the joys of marketing :;smack lol

9. JDcichlidlover

JDcichlidlover Well Known Member Member

What we're taught at petco. For our 15hr long nutritional certification, is that puppy food is higher in nurtition and calories for growth, adult is for maintinance (largebreed usually has hydrocloride glucoseamine, a joint suppliment) and senior has less of everything and more fiber so they don't gain weight. Lol. Als food portions out based on weight and age. Everyones correct :) high quality expensive food is Much better for the animals than cheap food with low quality ingrediants.

I recommend natural balance, halo, and wellness. They are all very good foods with high quality ingrediants and more than basic nutrition

10. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

I didn't say I didn't like it, I just said I didn't know how to feel about. I hadn't, at that point, looked too much into an ALS diet. But now that I'm slowly finding out almost all puppy foods in my price range have chicken or chicken fat in them, and because I just wanted to check it out for the giggles, it seems that's it's easier to find ALS (and adult) forumlas with out chicken products.

That being said, would it cause any harm in feeding him the Wellness Core I bought, even though it's not marketed as puppy or ALS? We are already having to adjust the mount of food he's eating as he starts finishing growing and is now hitting puppy puberty. He ate nearly a cup of his regular Innova Pupy yesterday (he usually gets a 1/2 cup or so)! :O I gave him that much today, but I don't think he'll eat it all. He grazes all day. I've tried breaking him of that, but gave up LOL

11. GrdnDelite

GrdnDelite New Member Member

To be labeled "All Life Stages" a food must meet the AAFCO standards for both puppy (growth) and adult foods.

2008 standards appear in this article:

For larger breed dogs, the calcium/phosphorus ratio is critical in order to prevent bone anomalies. Thus, amounts of those two minerals must be in proper ratio in growth foods. Links to some of those disorders appear under "excess calcium" in this article:

You can find more substantiation by Googling.

We have an extremely healthy dog with great bones who has grown up on an all stages food, though it is definitely a premium food. (Mulligan Stew)

I guess I'd better go over to newbies & post an intro now. :)

Shirley (Currently fishless cycling with ammonia)

12. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

Thanks, Shirley :)

I think Bentely is having trouble digesting the Wellness. he's been getting litterally just a bottom covering of a half cup, which is only like 10 or so peices. But, I've been putting them on top of his food, rather than mixing it in, so that he gets it all. Perhaps I should try mixing it in, since he hardly ever eats his food all I one go. I want to give him another week or so on it, and see how he progesses, if at all. From there, I may switch him to Pennacle.

13. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Have you talked to your vet about it?

14. OP
    OP
    Akari_32

Unfortunalty (for Bentely, that is) we are dealing with Haley first, and he will go next week. We finally found a vet for Haley's issues, and they may become our regular vet. But, he's only been on it a couple days, and this morning his pool was looking normal, so perhaps he's just slow to adjust. He does like it, though. But like I said, we only have the money for one thing at a time, because of corse, everything has to screw up all at once (flat tires, dead car batteries, drier breaks, dog issues....). Gotta love it :rolleyes: I don't know if he'll go to the new vet or the old one.

15. JDcichlidlover

JDcichlidlover Well Known Member Member

The wellness core is considered als I believe. Good food. Its a lil rich at firstt. So that's probably why he had problems digesting at first. Glad he's doing better.