Adult Crayfish Moulting

1. TerryCat

TerryCat Member Member

Hi guys,

So my cray Hobbes is about 1.5 years old and I think she's full sized, not too sure. I was just wondering how often they have to moult once they're full grown... She's been moving much slower than normal for a couple of weeks so I'm worried that she needs to moult but can't... I use equilibrium, feed algae wafers and also just put some cuttle bone into the tank.

2. The Crayfish King

The Crayfish King Well Known Member Member

As adults, they can go more than six months without molting, and sometimes they do seem to slow down in between molts.

3. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

She's probably just slowing down with age. Most only live around 2 years. If it is a molting issue, the cuttle bone will help. My electric blue molted last night. She won't go near the shed. I'm not going to feed her until she eats most of that but it obviously isn't her favorite.

4. OP
    OP
    TerryCat

TerryCat Member Member

That's funny, I thought they live to be about 5 years?
    Also my cray usually loves to eat her moult. It's always gone in less than 2 days.

5. OP
    OP
    TerryCat

TerryCat Member Member

Thanks for the info, I was starting to worry. I lost a cray to a bad moult last year (albeit that was linked to lack of minerals which I have fixed) so I'm still a little paranoid)